Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Don't know the type

Article about: If I rub that helmet with a cloth with acetone, firstly little spots of the red paint vanish. So I have to continue with rubbing. But when I do that, I rub away the original colour in those

ian
    ?

Default Re: Don't know the type

morning every one
    here my 2p worth IF this red paint is the same stuff that the fire engines were painted with wich is likely then it will be a coach paint a form of techaloid (cant spell) which means it will be very high gloss and very very hard with a high lead content ,it will be harder and more durable than the original paint underneath
    so what ever chemical you use will go right to bare metal to try and remove it
    i have however seen a man remove this stuff by tapping the serface with a rubber hammer this shaters the paint like crazy paving he then gently flicked of the pieces with a scalpal
    it took a long time but he was sucsesfull (not a german helmet though )
    this may be worth a try if you notice the lufty helmet he piced at with a knife he has bin prety sucsesfull and does not apear to have damaged the decal
    this i think is becouse the paint is so hard that it just flikes of once you get an edge to work from
    i f it is coach paint then chemicals will not realy help
    mabe he neads to find a coach painter and descus it with him im sure there must be some around in bavaria and im sure they would know how to remove this stuff cheers ian

Hi guys !

I discovered that it was not me who was removing the original paint. The person who painted it red must have emerized the Wehrmacht-layer a bit in order to guarantee that the red paint is more sustainable.

Well, during the last five days i stripped off the red paint with a paint dtripper and a piece of wood.
    The original layer has partly been removed completely (by the firefighter), but mostly not.
    Some little spots are very dificult to stip and I did it as best i could.
    The decals were also emerized. but I can still see the contours exactly.
    On the left side there is still a very little piece of it left.

Some general facts about the M35:
    It was made in 1938,
    neck inscription: E 148
    inscription on the left wing: NS 66
    On the inside in the top trhere is a mark: "Abgenommen IV 1938 Beschaffungsamt für Heer und Marine"

Can anybody give me any more information about it?
    for example about the inscriptions?

How much is it worth do you think? A guess would be helpful

ImageShack Album - 8 images

Thank you!
    best wishes,
    0.S.

?

Orangesoldier, I can't see your photos you posted as my work blocks the hosting site you posted them on. I however can't wait to get home to see how this turned out!!

Excellent thread overall. A lot of information from all of the forum members! I too have a post war painted helmet (below). I always thought I should leave it as is because it looks good on display and to someone who is not an expert, they are none the wiser.

After reading this, I've reconsidered and may have another project on my hands this weekend.... Thanks for the inspiration!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Don't know the type  

oh...if you cant see them maybe you can see it here:
    if mine would have been black with fake decals i would probably have left it also. But mine was red (!)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Don't know the type   Don't know the type  

i can only post two pictures in one reply.... so here are others:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Don't know the type   Don't know the type  

anyone can give more information about it or can guess its price?

Thanks!

best wishes,
    0.S.

?

Looks good! Being on this forum, I'm appreciating authenticity more and more over aesthetics. For me, it would be a rush to strip it down and find out what is really hiding underneath.

I picked up the helmet on a whim rather than saving to try and get something completely authentic, and mind you I didn't get a great price on it. I regret this at times which is why I think I should move on and see what’s really going on under there.

Good luck in your search at your local fire department. Now that you’ve completed your first, I’m sure your itching to get back there and see what else is waiting for you. The next one should be much easier too now that you have an idea of how to do it.

Out of curiosity, have you completed the Luftschutz, or is that still a work in progress? I'd like to see photos of that once completed as well!

Thanks....
    The Luftschutz-helmet is still red. Its another paint undertneath. My paint stripper is too aggressive perhaps because the Luftschutz-paint vanishes when I try to rub off the red one....But i'll find a way to get rid of the red layer once.

Does anybody know what the inscriptions mean?

?

I'm no expert, but with my minimal knowledge, this is what can tell you:

"Abgenommen IV 1938 Beschaffungsamt für Heer und Marine" = IV 1938 Procurement office for Heer (army) and Marine (navy)

NS - Maker Mark (Vereinigte Deutsche Nickelwerke)
    66 - Helmet Size
    E148 - This would be the prodution run of your helmet

As far as price, I wouldnt even take a stab as prices where I'm at are inflated....

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast