Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dutch east indies helmet.

Article about: Just haveing a bit of a lazy sunday. And thought i would post this helmet, to see if anyone is able to give me a bit more information on the helmet i have. The helmet, was one of the first i

Default Dutch east indies helmet.

Just haveing a bit of a lazy sunday.
    And thought i would post this helmet, to see if anyone is able to give me a bit more information on the helmet i have.
    The helmet, was one of the first i got a few years ago and never realy gave it much thought.
    I thought that this helmet was a firemans helmet from the netherlands, but ive being doing a little bit of looking into the helmet , and think i have a dutch east indies helmet.
    The flap is to keep the sun of the neck. also i thought why dose this helmet have no lion crest badge on the front. also no hole in the back. and the rear of the helmet is shorter then other dutch helmets. I read that the US made these helmets for the east indies in the 40s. have i got a US made helmet. theres no stamps in the helmet. just two names.
    thank you for looking. cheers mark.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dutch east indies helmet.   Dutch east indies helmet.  

Dutch east indies helmet.   Dutch east indies helmet.  

Dutch east indies helmet.  

milwaukee saddlery. maybe the maker of this helmet. ?

Looks like a Dutch KNIL Verblifa M34 helmet, pre war. The name inside the helmet is Dutch. You will have to look at the rim to see if it is a M27, or a M34 (small difference in the rim and liner).
    I believe the KNIL used old British helmets from 1946 till 1949 in the Dutch Indies.

Quote by Feuerbach View Post
    Looks like a Dutch KNIL Verblifa M34 helmet, pre war. The name inside the helmet is Dutch. You will have to look at the rim to see if it is a M27, or a M34 (small difference in the rim and liner).
    I believe the KNIL used old British helmets from 1946 till 1949 in the Dutch Indies.
    ok thanks feuerbach. nice to know the name is dutch. and with the rim how is the m27 different to the m34.
    under the the liner tongues there is pockets for pads. thanks mark

Hello Geelong,

You have a KNIL helmet. This one was produced by Milsco (Milwaukee Saddlery Company of the same city in the US. You probably have a size 1 (smaller size). If you would have the size 2 you can see a figure 2 pressed in the leather ring under one of the pads.

The Verblifa helmets sported the Dutch lion emblem. This one never had one. The M27 and M34 have a larger shape, with a longer neck and have a slit in the rear skirt.

These helmets were used by the KNIL, the navy and the Netherlands forces in the Netherlands Antilles and Surinam until the end of the forties.

You have a well preserved one! Care to sell it?

Cheers,
    Emile

Quote by emileverbunt View Post
    Hello Geelong,

You have a KNIL helmet. This one was produced by Milsco (Milwaukee Saddlery Company of the same city in the US. You probably have a size 1 (smaller size). If you would have the size 2 you can see a figure 2 pressed in the leather ring under one of the pads.

The Verblifa helmets sported the Dutch lion emblem. This one never had one. The M27 and M34 have a larger shape, with a longer neck and have a slit in the rear skirt.

These helmets were used by the KNIL, the navy and the Netherlands forces in the Netherlands Antilles and Surinam until the end of the forties.

You have a well preserved one! Care to sell it?

Cheers,
    Emile
    thank you Emile, i found this helmet in a box at a junk store a few years ago, there was two but this one was complete.
    theres no stamp in the liner pad. cheers mark. i see that you are a keen collector of these helmets.

Very nice Milsco KNIL helmet!

?

Looks like you scored well with this one Mark.
    I know bugger-all about these, but yours looks to be in great shape.

Brad.

Quote by Lidman View Post
    Looks like you scored well with this one Mark.
    I know bugger-all about these, but yours looks to be in great shape.

Brad.
    thanks brad.. yea dident no to much about this helmet when i first found it. but been doing sum research, and with the help of forum members. i have a much better idea on this helmet now. cheers mark.

?

Thats a really nice find, I almost bought one of these a few months back but the wallet wouldn't stretch far enough at the time. You don't see many and not in that condition.
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast