Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Early Austrian M58 liners

Article about: Hi all Two new acquisitions for my collection arrived yesterday!!! Both were bought as Austrian M1 clones... now one has the first pattern 1959 dated fibre type liner with a nice Vizeleutnan

Nice lid B.G.!!!!! I'll admit... I'm just a tinsy little bit... Austrian ..stalhelm 2.... green with envy!!..... when I see you guys who have one already!!! .... I'm determined to get one tho..........every chance I get I'll be looking..... and I'll get one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

?

Quote by austromunga View Post
    Thanks for the link !!!
    does this mean that the second pattern thermoplastic liner should have had a rubber bump strip???... if so this is missing.. I had noticed all the edge is roughed up .. like the finish required on plastic to make a surface with which to bond something to!!...like a rubber strip!!!
    went to a local militaria fair Sunday .. found some really nice genuine Dot camo helmet covers (the trader had a box full of 30 odd) I picked 4 of the most interesting ones (will post in a separate thread) and one U.S. woodland pattern for my 56 Quisk West German pot!! oh... and also picked up another Austrian lid!!
    This one has a second pattern liner (Thermoplastic) no markings again!! but this has been sprayed olive green (some has peeled off).. but it has a yellow wax cross on the top!! (a lot of Austrian Army surplus I have bought over the years has this mark) ... like a kind of damaged/ surplus dispose of mark??? the shell is of a much darker green grey than any of the others I have, its dated 1971 with HBA mark for the same, the chin strap is the riveted type... but has unusual hardware in that its not the usual OLC German type ...this one has MB markings!!??
    I have another riveted type and it too has MB markings.. so perhaps this is how all the replacement riveted chinstrap hardware is!!!
    HI, I have had a look at one of my M-58 (1969 dated) and the liner has the same olive green spray job, which the yellow cross on top, I never really thought too much about this prior to you posting up your example, but the disposal mark theory makes perfect sense.

And I am not too sure about the liners having a rubber ring , I have never seen an example of the helmets with one, so perhaps this was a short lived feature??

Hi opex
    The only pics of a M58 liner with the rubber bump strip I have seen.. are on here .....

.: World War Helmets - Casque Modèle 58 :.

I would imagine the early glue used to join the strip to the plastic liner rim at that time would not at all be very good.......and so I imagine would very soon part company!! and in all likelihood just be pulled off and discarded!!

And I found some Austrian items I have with the surplus/disposal yellow wax "X" for reference
    pics of a helmet cover and loadbearing assault vest!!
    both have/had damage... the vest has a load strap popper ripped off and fraying and zips and buckles broken/missing (only bought it to raid for parts for another I had in my size with minor faults ).... the helmet cover had the foliage loops come unstitched.. now repaired!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0160.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	243.3 KB 
ID:	765285  

?

Hi opex
    The only pics of a M58 liner with the rubber bump strip I have seen.. are on here .....

.: World War Helmets - Casque Modèle 58 :.

I would imagine the early glue used to join the strip to the plastic liner rim at that time would not at all be very good.......and so I imagine would very soon part company!! and in all likelihood just be pulled off and discarded!!

And I found some Austrian items I have with the surplus/disposal yellow wax "X" for reference
    pics of a helmet cover and loadbearing assault vest!!
    both have/had damage... the vest has a load strap popper ripped off and fraying and zips and buckles broken/missing (only bought it to raid for parts for another I had in my size with minor faults ).... the helmet cover had the foliage loops come unstitched.. now repaired!!

Hi, yes that is the only source I have seen with example of the rubber rimmed featuring, I am member there so can attest to the members knowing their onions as it were.

Great information on the yellow cross markings (disposal) and your recent contemporary Austrian acquisitions I hope you do not mind me tagging on my M-58 liner with these mysterious markings?

A very interesting thread,and only getting better

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	048.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	211.2 KB 
ID:	765498

Don't mind at all!!! and I see what you mean about your M58 being a match for my one!!! could be from the same marked for disposal batch!!!... all except yours is like.. ...well its younger slightly better looking sibling!!!!

?

Don't mind at all!!! and I see what you mean about your M58 being a match for my one!!! could be from the same marked for disposal batch!!!... all except yours is like.. ...well its younger slightly better looking sibling!!!!
    I would agree it does appear to be similar to your example this one is matched to a '69 dated HBA marked shell, does make me wonder my the liners received this khaki spray job/yellow wax cross and not the shells too????

I have some theory's as to paint and marks... I think the necessity of the spray job on the liners could have spring from the need to spruce up old scratched liners!!!! and in the case of old M58 type grey ones, to match them to the later green plastic ones..at that time more widely in service...... as.... if I remember rightly!???.... the Bundesheer wore just the liners when on parade duty!!!... once the paint started to peel the liners would then become tatty, unsightly and unfit for parade purpose !!! and as such thus marked with a nice yellow wax cross mark to avoid accidental use!!!!???? and to banish them for combat use or stock pile!!! ive also seen pics of barracks where the individual soldier seems to have been issued both a separate "best" spare liner... for parade.....and a combat helm/liner for exercises!!!!
    As to the shell not having marks???... I've seen period pictures of huge piles of surplus helmets and liners when they had been released to surplus market... usually two separate piles of each..shells and liners..so many have most likely been thrown together by person or persons faced with "pairing" tons of shells and liners!!! with little care or understanding for any matching!!!!! it could also be a very good reason for some of the mismatching sets around!!?? This ..compounded also by the very long service life of this M1 type ...and not even to mention the numerous variations, refits and refurbs !!!!!
    Also if a helmet and liner set reached the surplus dealer with unsightly yellow crosses on the top..... I would imagine ...to make his stock more aesthetically pleasing (and in the process make the item much more saleable!!) said dealer would attempt to remove the mark from the shell!!!! ...but In the same instance he would not need however to remove the mark from the liner!! as it would be unseen when fitted!!!!!!
    just one or two theory's!!???
    but as ever... until we have some materiel evidence its all guesstimation really!!

Hi all
    just received a couple more early M58 shells!! just that bit closer to the 57'!!!
    First is a well worn Usch 58...or 59 stamp.. difficult to determine as (very feint and worn!!). this is the darkest green grey shell I now have!!! and the light grey primer showing seems evident in most worn early shells I have seen!!
    my first type fibre M58 liner fits it like a glove!!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0508.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	240.3 KB 
ID:	792949   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0509.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	236.5 KB 
ID:	792950  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0507.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	230.8 KB 
ID:	792951  

Second is a very good condition Usch 59 stamped with HBA stamp for the same!!! I fitted a second type M58 liner (thermoplastic type) and an early type khaki green Austrian army issue helmet net...all I need now some genuine issue elastic net fitting bands with metal clips!! (rare as rocking horse poo!!!)
    the search as ever continues!!!!

Name:	IMAG0512.jpg 
Size:	228.9 KB 
ID:	792952   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0511.jpg 
Size:	226.1 KB 
ID:	792953  

?

Hi Austro, very nice examples. The net look's very effective and very displayable, thanks for sharing more of your fine collection

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast