Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

East German NVA M56 helmets

Article about: Hi guys here I have a first pattern M56 East German helmet. The M56 was produced by Eisen und Hütte AG and the liners by VEB Sattler und Taucha Lederwarenfabrik. The design was originally a

Default East German NVA M56 helmets

Hi guys here I have a first pattern M56 East German helmet. The M56 was produced by Eisen und Hütte AG and the liners by VEB Sattler und Taucha Lederwarenfabrik. The design was originally a ww2 design which was to replace the German helmets in use but was refused by Hitler even though it was easier and cheaper to make and offered better ballistic protection. This particular model has a camo net in place and has been on there for a long time as it has left marks in the paint. The helmet has a stamp of II 3 61. II which means size 2 and 61 being the year of manufacture. It also has on the liner written in the word Storch (name?) but the word below it I cannot decipher.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture East German NVA M56 helmets   East German NVA M56 helmets  

East German NVA M56 helmets   East German NVA M56 helmets  

Here I have an M56/66 model with the plastic adjustable liner. This particular model has the strictarn helmet cover in place and looks really cool. This one is also a size 2 and manufactured in 1974.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture East German NVA M56 helmets   East German NVA M56 helmets  

East German NVA M56 helmets  

the leather liner & chin strap on your M56 appear to be in nice original condition, the marking / impression left by the net are interesting, the net must have been on the helmet for many years and adds some character.

It has been in my possession for about 15 years and that was the first time I have taken it off to see the net impression on the paint. Been searching for a 1950's dated model with no luck.

?

Default My New 1st Pattern M56 Helmet

Interesting thread, I have just acquired a nice early example myself. Been searching for one for a while and couldn't pass it up. Has the markings II 4 61 with a good condition liner and strap. I paid the equivalent of $125US locally here in New Zealand.

East German NVA M56 helmetsEast German NVA M56 helmetsEast German NVA M56 helmetsEast German NVA M56 helmetsEast German NVA M56 helmetsEast German NVA M56 helmetsEast German NVA M56 helmetsEast German NVA M56 helmetsEast German NVA M56 helmets

Great helmets Guys, here's a couple of mine to include the plastic parade, M56 59 dated & a 59 dated refurbished.
    Last edited by reneblacky; 10-22-2019 at 12:37 AM.

Not sure how i missed this thread ian but glad i found it ,nice to see your early example retains the small leather triangular cheek protectors still stiched in place at the A yokes /chinstrap termination ,the net has left more than just a ghosting mark and really does prove this was part and parcel of the helmet from day one ,thanks for posting up

Quote by James C View Post
    nice to see your early example retains the small leather triangular cheek protectors still stiched in place at the A yokes /chinstrap termination
    hang about hang about, I am sure the real early examples did NOT have that triangular patch - in fact the chinstrap rig is distinctly different. See Fabe's pic here NVA DDR M56 helmet military police I've spent a lot of time peering at M56s on Ebay trying to find one.

?

That was my understanding also, one of the first things I looked for.

Thanks for the reminder greg always good to keep us on our toes ,from memory mine doesn't have the cheek protectors i think ,but the stiching remnants show they were once there ,very much like the example nzef2 posted ,this later chinstrap backs up the time frame as ian's m56 is adorned with the later helmet net with hooks

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast