Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Falklands war - argie helmet?

Article about: Hello guys, could you help me to identify if this is an argie helmet from the Falklands war? I know some people here know a lot about this. thanks

?

Default Falklands war - argie helmet?

Hello guys, could you help me to identify if this is an argie helmet from the Falklands war?
    I know some people here know a lot about this.
    thanks

Falklands war - argie helmet?Falklands war - argie helmet?Falklands war - argie helmet?Falklands war - argie helmet?Falklands war - argie helmet?

?

Hi Danish.

Well it could be, but in order to receive a better judgement on this you will need to provide close up pictures of the bales, liner manufacturer stamp, and the shell rim details, e.g. any spot welds.

I have two genuine Argentinian M1's in my collection, one has an locally made liner, and the other a US Firestone liner re-worked for Argentinian service. Yours appears to have a US M1 liner, and looks like it's been subject to extreme weather conditions which is a common feature of Falkland used M1 helmets.

Typically Argentinian Liner's have Green leather headbands , and the Shell chinstraps are similar in design to US versions , but were made of cheaper materials.

The colour of the shell is what I would consider to a typical South American paint scheme, but more detailed pictures will certainly assist us/you to be able to correctly identify this M1. I like it personally.

Is it in your collection, or are you attempting to purchase it,and therefore needing a opinion on it's authenticity ?

Regards,Opex.

?

hi Opex, thanks for your reply. I've been offered this helmet from an ex crew member from HMS Hydra (turned into hospital ship during the war, transporting troops from the islands to Montevideo).
    I'm starting a small collection on this short war so I'm new to the equipment used there.
    I've read that argie headbands were made of green leather but I've also saw some helmets with this kind of natural leather colour headbands. Here are two examples:
    Falklands war - argie helmet?Falklands war - argie helmet?

I think I will buy it and then I can take better pictures for a further analysis.
    cheers

ps: got any photos of your helmets? I would like to see them

?

Hi Danish, no problem at all, always glad to help another collector of these Argentinian Helmets.

Interesting Provence story regarding the HMS Hydra connection.And I agree that the "standard" sweatband was issued in a Green leather, but I'm sure there were examples issued with US tan coloured sweatbands. I guess as long as you have written prove of it's provenance, then it will be very comforting for you as a buyer/ collector of this genre of M1.

I do intend on posting my examples here soon, and I would indeed buy this helmet ( assuming the price is right ) over the last few years the prices of these M1 helmets has steadily risen, in fact there was an example on UK ebay very recently, and the price was astronomical!!

I look forward to seeing your own pictures when you have the helmet in hand

From the not so good pics on show the shell is none US made and of lower quality,this would tie in with Argentine shells being produced under licence in Buenos Aires in the early 1970's and liner as already stated completely of US origin,also the chinstraps of these Helmets will be attached via small rivots...............

?

thanks again Opex, one question, is there any problems with UK customs to bring this helmet to Denmark? have you got any information about this?
    I guess you have seen this one on eBay too, the price is out of my range.

thanks ruddersrangers44, I guess if the shell was made by Fabricaciones Militares then I will find some "FM" somewhere around.
    we'll see.

Fifteen hundred quid.... He's on crack.

PS. There is no problem sending a helmet to Denmark

Maybe or maybe not as these shells were usually stamped poorly,like i said look at the chinstraps if there riveted then there's your answer,all the best.......

?

[QUOTE=danish;1048219]thanks again Opex, one question, is there any problems with UK customs to bring this helmet to Denmark? have you got any information about this?
    I guess you have seen this one on eBay too, the price is out of my range.

Hi ,No problems I am aware of , I have personally traded with collectors in Denmark, and vice versa,.

And yes the item stated is VERY pricey for what is NOT a Argentinian M1 ,it looks like a Belgian liner , avoid this one. I have serious issues and reservations with it

I got one of my example's from a Royal Naval Commando who served in the Falklands for £20, and another from ebay about 5 years ago for about £15, so the prices are escalating, personally I feel if a collector has one of these in their collection, then the helmet is worth hanging onto

I think someone is taking the .... on ebay with those rediculous prices,buy a nice stahlhelm for half that money,you heard the man (kraddy) must be on one or something......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast