Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

A Few New Helmets For The Kid

Article about: Here are a few helmets that I’ve been collecting up for my son’s upcoming birthday, he should be quite surprise. Front are the common East German M54 and a Swiss M1918, not sure if it’s a /4

Default A Few New Helmets For The Kid

Here are a few helmets that I’ve been collecting up for my son’s upcoming birthday, he should be quite surprise.

Front are the common East German M54 and a Swiss M1918, not sure if it’s a /40 or a /66, haven’t dug in to these helmets much yet.

In the far back is a 1953 dated British Mk IV, that I recently picked up on Ebay for a pretty fair price I believe. Looks to be a good helmet but I have not had the chance to look much into this one either. Date stamped in back 1953 and letters ROC which I know is a helmet mfr’s stamp. Not sure of the black paint or the elastic chin strap but I’ll figure that all out later.

And the closer of the helmets in back is the prize of the lot, a Model 1916 Portuguese fluted steel helmet, which I have provided several photos of.

The kids birthday is not until the end of July, not sure I am going to keep these from him that long. He’s got a display coming up at the end of April so that will be my excuse to give these to him early.

Hope you enjoy.

Russ

?

Default Re: A Few New Helmets For The Kid

Hi Russ.

You've got a nice set of tin lids there for your boy.

Ref: the British Mk4, the chin strap is accurate for it, as is the colour.
    During my service I saw them painted in every colour from bronze green to khaki brown to black, both solid colours and camouflage patterned!

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Nice lids for his birthday, he should really like them. By the way, my birthday is in August :-) John

Might seem to be a silly question, but can anyone tell me which is the front and which is the back of the Portuguese M1916 helmet? There is no emblem visible to mark the front and no liner. No matter how I look at it, I see no distict feature that would make one and or the other the front or back. From what I can tell, not too many of these lids around and hard to even find a photo of one on the net.

judging by the placement of the air vents and shape of the visor, I think the front of the helmet should be with the shorter visor in the front and the air vents forward position

the other way looks more like the back to me

Thanks for the input BG, will have to drag it back out of the box, set it down and take a real close look at it. Not much info floating around regarding the WWI Portugues helmet, assuming they are reasonably rare as they seem hard enough to come by. Anyone has any info on this helmet they would like to share, it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Russ