Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First pattern M56 NVA Stahlelm

Article about: I've been passively on the lookout for one for a while and I couldn't pass up on this one! 25€ shipped, so why the hell not! Looks to have been refurbished at some point because it has a rou

Default First pattern M56 NVA Stahlelm

I've been passively on the lookout for one for a while and I couldn't pass up on this one!
    25€ shipped, so why the hell not!
    Looks to have been refurbished at some point because it has a rough texture brush applied overpaint and remains of another layer of paint beneath that.
    Overall the helmet is in pretty much mint condition, just a few scratches probably from storage.
    Early liner size 58 , which was the thing I was mostly looking out for, the M44 style liner.
    I wanted a helmet that clearly showed the lineage to WWII German steel helmets and this one did the trick for me, I really like the look of it.
    I've seen others on this forum and they appear to have the attaching stitching for the felt lining all around the leather but mine only has it in the back which is interesting.
    Also the cheek pads aren't fastened by stitching, just slid on and not fixed.
    I'd be curious to hear what you all think of this one
    Luis
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture First pattern M56 NVA Stahlelm   First pattern M56 NVA Stahlelm  

First pattern M56 NVA Stahlelm   First pattern M56 NVA Stahlelm  

First pattern M56 NVA Stahlelm  
    Last edited by PotatoDigger; 07-19-2019 at 04:33 PM.

I've just realised I had a typo in the word "Stahlhelm" in the thread name, if a mod could correct that that'd be great

A really nice find PD ,well done
    Regards James

Thank you, James
    Luis

?

Quote by PotatoDigger View Post
    I've just realised I had a typo in the word "Stahlhelm" in the thread name, if a mod could correct that that'd be great
    Stahlhelm = German for "steel helmet"
    I don't think that is a typo!!
    Very nice Helm
    Semper Fi
    Phil

25€ shipped, so why the hell not!

Looks to have been refurbished at some point because it has a rough texture brush applied.

Also the cheek pads aren't fastened by stitching, just slid on and not fixed.
    I'd be curious to hear what you all think of this one
    Luis
    Hi Luis,

That price is an absolute gift! The late type plastic liner cradle helmets can cost more than that!
    I think the seller didn't know the difference, well found!
    The paint looks fine to me and it may well have been the result of rountine maintenance ( a base refurbishment would have been spray painted I believe).

As for the chinstrap pads I have a couple like that and it seems to be that the stiching of the pads was dropped later in production and it is the way the M56/74 type was fitted but I don't think it is a 56/74 chinstrap as it has the distinctive "rolled" edge line which I believe was deleted later in the timeline. I certainlt don't recall seeing it on a 56/74 helmet but they are detachable and there are sure to have been unused stock in various locations.
    I have no idea about the stitching of the felt lining but I expect that is another manufacturing change along the way.
    What you need now is the early drawstring helmet net!

Thanks for showing.

Regards

Mark

@ Phil, yep I thought that too then looked again; the H and 1st L are the wrong way round ie Stahlelm
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks, Phil
    Well, there was/is a typo in my typing of the word "Stahlhelm". Because in the thread title I typed "Stahlelm", and don't worry, I know my English(.. or German for that matter, after all I'm from there lol), but I thought for it to be adequate to keep the German wording for this item
    Luis
    Last edited by PotatoDigger; 07-20-2019 at 08:15 PM.

Thanks for your reply Mark,
    glad you like it and thanks for that info, good to know since I am very new to NVA equipment, any ideas where I could get such a net for a good price?
    Luis

any ideas where I could get such a net for a good price?
    Luis
    Not right this minute off the top of my head but I'll keep my eyes open and give you a PM if I spot one.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

That's a very nice helmet, and an absolute 'steal' at that price!

Cheers,
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast