Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Former French used M1.

Article about: Hi Guy's, here's an M1 which I deeply suspect was used by the French Army, I bought this helmet years ago which was covered in a horrible non-military green, as a result of carefully removin

?

Default Former French used M1.

Hi Guy's, here's an M1 which I deeply suspect was used by the French Army, I bought this helmet years ago which was covered in a horrible non-military green, as a result of carefully removing the paint I discovered the rank on the front of the shell. The liner is a Westy (with repairs). I would value your opinions,Opex

Former French used M1.
    Former French used M1.
    Former French used M1.
    Former French used M1.
    Former French used M1.
    Former French used M1.
    Former French used M1.
    Former French used M1.
    Former French used M1.

?

Hi Gary interesting lid can I ask why you suspect it was used by the French military .

Regards Mark

?

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    Hi Gary interesting lid can I ask why you suspect it was used by the French military .

Regards Mark
    Hi Mark,thanks for looking and for the query, due to the rank on the front of the shell I assumed French, as I have a reference book with French used M1's demonstrated,and it's similar .

?

Quote by battle gear View Post
    Thanks for the opinion and for the excellent reference links BG,most appreciated. On a side note I really like the Peruvian Helmet cover camo pattern

Well its certainly a talking point Helmet Gary,see what you mean regarding the heavy paintwork,typical of South American style M1's,I presume the sweatband and net were locally source as they both seem to be of the wrong colour for US made hardware,luv the markings to the front,the liner webbing looks almost to be of two differant types,but maybe just the pics,thanks for sharing,and please keep showing your awesome collection.......

?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Well its certainly a talking point Helmet Gary,see what you mean regarding the heavy paintwork,typical of South American style M1's,I presume the sweatband and net were locally source as they both seem to be of the wrong colour for US made hardware,luv the markings to the front,the liner webbing looks almost to be of two differant types,but maybe just the pics,thanks for sharing,and please keep showing your awesome collection.......

Thanks Jake, the sweatband, net and liner chinstrap are definitely not US issue, the webbing in the liner has had some repairs using some sort of similar colour HBT material and the shell's chinstrap look's French issue to me,I agree a good talking point in all

Quote by Opex View Post
    Thanks Jake, the sweatband, net and liner chinstrap are definitely not US issue, the webbing in the liner has had some repairs using some sort of similar colour HBT material and the shell's chinstrap look's French issue to me,I agree a good talking point in all
    the rough HBT cotton material used for the sweatband also looks a lot like something made by the French on the M51? I agree the chin straps also appear to be of French origin, maybe this helmet was used by a foreign country that was supplied by the France like the war for Algerian independence movements from 1954 - 1962 era

Former French used M1.
    Last edited by battle gear; 09-03-2014 at 04:05 AM.

?

Many thanks for the very useful reference picture, and your opinions BG, I have handled many French helmets over the years ( as they are my most favourite Helmet genre) and have a feeling the parts used are more than likely French in origin, and would wholeheartedly agree the large weave HBT is of the French "type".

?

Gary I thought you might find this of interest markings found on French WW II era helms...

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Former French used M1.   Former French used M1.  

Former French used M1.   Former French used M1.  

Former French used M1.  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast