Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

French colonial infantry M15 helmet

Article about: Here is a French colonial infantry M15 helmet that I traded for a few months ago. From what I have been able to find it is an M15 for the French colonial infantry. Sadly, no liner or chin st

?

Default French colonial infantry M15 helmet

Here is a French colonial infantry M15 helmet that I traded for a few months ago. From what I have been able to find it is an M15 for the French colonial infantry. Sadly, no liner or chin strap, but does seem to have a fair amount of paint left. There are two layers of paint, both very similar, although the first coat has a dark blue tint and the second seems to have a more greenish tint. There also looks to be what is left of a name scratched into the brim, all I can make out is a cursive K e r .

Anything anyone can add to the history of this helmet or the people who would have used it, would be greatly appreciated!

Jim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture French colonial infantry M15 helmet   French colonial infantry M15 helmet  

French colonial infantry M15 helmet   French colonial infantry M15 helmet  

The blue is of course the original. The green one a post WW1 paint job. The insignia has an original "moutarde" (mustard) colour.

These colonial helmets were used by many colonial regiments and even the navy as far as I know. Most colonial infantry sported the mustard colour helmets.

Have a look at this site: .: World War Helmets - Casque Adrian modèle 15 :.

Cheers,
    Emile

?

I don't think the insignia has the mustard colored paint, what you are seeing is a rusty corrosion, at least that is what it looks like to me. Thanks for the website, I would really like it, as it looks very detailed, except I don't speak French. The badge looks like it has been there a good long while, I'm just curious if it has always been there.

Jim

A very nice example jim ,the frontal etching under the brim is a nice surprise , i have a similar example ,thanks for showing, regards james
    Regards James

?

Beautiful example ,I really like the patina and of course the name which really add's to a truly historic piece, pity the liner is long gone but after a century that's hardly surprising ,many thanks for sharing this example of which I would be proud to own.

Hello

This insigna for Colonial troups was introduced in June 1915. it was also used in the navy.

It will change in 1929 to be only an Anchor.

That said, the helmet and insigna looks nice but be very carefull with mismatching insigna and helmets. During WW1, factories were providing helmets directly with their insigna. Which will not be the case during WW2. So color and patina should be similar.

All the best

Bruno

?

The more I look at it, maybe there are 3 coats of paint, with the 1st one being the mustard yellow. I may try and take the emblem off, if I think I can without damaging it.

Jim

Hello Jim,

I would recomend no to. There are much chance you'll break it if original. Just look at those fixing the liner.

Bruno

Jim P, the website for the Adrian can be accessed in English. Google 'World War Helmets' and click on translate this page

Quote by bourguignotte View Post
    Hello Jim,

I would recomend no to. There are much chance you'll break it if original. Just look at those fixing the liner.

Bruno
    I agree with Bruno, the badge should not be removed, it's not necessary, it would cause more harm than good, then you will have to bend the fragile pieces to put it back together, best to leave it alone.