Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

French F1' question

Article about: Just wondering if anybody can shed light on the different f1 variation's ,my pair are dated 1987 and 88 yet both show a slightly different star crown pad ,extra vent holes on one one example

Default French F1' question

Just wondering if anybody can shed light on the different f1 variation's ,my pair are dated 1987 and i think 1988 or it could be 82 ? both show a slightly different star crown pad ,extra vent holes on one example shows the earlier chinstrap and the other the latter ,just wondering when this changeover occured also the rear mount has a pop stud not found on my other example ,my guess is for hanging the lid off the webbing but im not 100% French F1' questionFrench F1' questionFrench F1' questionFrench F1' questionFrench F1' questionFrench F1' questionFrench F1' questionFrench F1' question
    Last edited by James C; 06-21-2016 at 09:57 PM.

Hello James
    these are 2 paterm helmets. First patern has fixed bail like on the M51
    The liner was circular and not yet a star.
    One of your shinstrap is the early model with the dot. After they had a scratch

Hope this help

Bruno

Default French F1 first pattern mfg from 1978 - 1981

the First series of the French F1 made from 1978 - 1981 had the round dome pad and three fixed bales, and the button snap closure on the chin strap with chin cup.

the second type with the star pattern dome pad was mfg from 1982 and later during the transition
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture French F1' question   French F1' question  

French F1' question   French F1' question  

Wow. I honestly thought I knew about these helmets, but it is only now I read battlegear's post I realise I had never grasped that ser. 1 had fixed bails and the others had flexible. There's always something to find out.

Thanks for pointing that out, bg. That's the value of informed and observant commentary on forums like this. Helps you to actually see what is really there rather than what you simply think is there.

Many thanks Bruno and Battlegear ,Id lost hope of anyone commenting so much appreciated

Pleasure James

I just discovered the post lately. Do not hesitate to drop an email in case you have no answer. Might be that I just didn't noticed it. They are not that many trad on French helmets so I do not track them on a regular basis

All the best

Bruno

Thank you Bruno ,One of my original questions was also asking what the purpose was of the press stud on the rear bail ,Am i right in saying it holds part of the liner on this model

Hello James

Yes it does
    on the first patern these are fixe with a screw like on the lake M51 liners

I just realised I didn't had any photos of these...

Bruno

In the time it took for a response to my questions the penny dropped that it could only be part of the liner fixing ,i should look harder before i post up but on the plus side I've learnt a great deal more on these F1's now so thank you to all who contributed

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast