Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

French M-51.

Article about: Hi Guys. Here's a French M-51 from my collection, this particular example has a Satin 300 Hood attached. Feel free to comment.

?

Default Re: French M-51.

Here's another M-51, this one has a M-65 Amoured vehicle Helmet.( Sous-casque radio char modèle 65.) inside the shell.
    Attachment 398163Attachment 398164Attachment 398165Attachment 398166Attachment 398167Attachment 398168Attachment 398169

?

Hi fellow collectors, here's a Menesa Shell and liner dated 1953. This is one of the earlist and complete M-51's in my collection, and as a result am particularly keen on this one, feel free to comment or query, thanks for looking Opex.

French M-51.
    French M-51.
    French M-51.
    French M-51.
    Of interest is the specific bales which are unique to Menesa.
    French M-51.
    French M-51.
    French M-51.
    French M-51.
    French M-51.
    French M-51.
    French M-51.
    French M-51.
    French M-51.
    French M-51.
    I also noted that these specific shells are wider and higher than other M-51 manufactured shells. I have taken a picture of the Menesa on the left and and a 1952 dated APC manufactured shell to try and show the differences, this might explain why some liners seem to fit shells very snugly and others are very loose in the shell?
    French M-51.

French M-51.French M-51.French M-51.

I saw a book at the public library called "DEEDS of WAR" by James Nachtwey

and it showed lots of interesting combat photos from the Lebanese Civil War around 1983 with soldiers using the French M51 helmet.

wow opex a real timewarp piece ,its crazy to think how old these early ones are now getting ,this one has great character and as i have a 53 dated one ill go and check out the manufacturer ,interesting to see the differances between the shell profiles ,and daft as it sounds i did a double take because i honestly thought the apc shell you show was the f1 and BG as always some superb pics and none of which ive seen before ,great avatar too mate
    Regards James

?

Quote by James C View Post
    wow opex a real timewarp piece ,its crazy to think how old these early ones are now getting ,this one has great character and as i have a 53 dated one ill go and check out the manufacturer ,interesting to see the differances between the shell profiles ,and daft as it sounds i did a double take because i honestly thought the apc shell you show was the f1 and BG as always some superb pics and none of which ive seen before ,great avatar too mate

Thanks James I am glad you like this as much as I do, it is my favourite.

The profile is hard to explain, and perhaps I should have added some specific measurements ( but that might have been too Anal..LOL) , but it has given me something to research within my own collection of 51's, as a lot of my other shell's and liners seem to be mismatched, E.G. some liners fit some shells better than other's, oh well it will keep me busy one wet Sunday afternoon at least.

And yes I see what you mean about the APC being "F1 like" from the side profile, I suppose this show's the inspiration for F1 shape. Personally I prefer the F1 shape over practically all other steel pots. And I am never quite convinced about the shape of the M-51, but it such a classic and it's hard not to have one or two ( or more) in a collectors possession.

( I am now searching for a complete '52 dated helmet..the search continues )

?

Many thanks for sharing those great reference pictures BG, at first glance I thought the one you have used as your avatar was of an Argentinian soldier circa 1982!

I am aware of the usage of these helmets by other nations, but it's always good to be able to see reference pictures showing them in use

Hi Opex,

Very nice example you show there. Menessa productions are not easy to find. We may explain the little diffrence in shape by the fact they were produced in Germany as War repair.

Here is an example dated 1951 with the so called "yeti" liner

All the best

Bruno

French M-51.

French M-51.

?

Hi Bruno, many thanks for your valuable input on these Menesa manufactured M-51 helmets. Your explanation of them being made in Germany would explain the difference in height and profile. I really like your example a lot as it show's character.The Yeti name of the liners relates to the conical shape I believe and an excellent example of this feature.

I look forward to seeing more of your examples in the near future, many thanks Again

Kind regards

Quote by Opex View Post
    Many thanks for sharing those great reference pictures BG, at first glance I thought the one you have used as your avatar was of an Argentinian soldier circa 1982!

I am aware of the usage of these helmets by other nations, but it's always good to be able to see reference pictures showing them in use
    the Lebanese soldier in the last photo thats smoking a cigarette almost looks like he could be wearing another type of M1 clone? notice his chin straps have the metal hardware instead of being sewn on? possibly Austrian , Belgium M1 judging by the finish or it could be a French M51 made for export.

Hi

The "yeti" liner didin't had this form initilay. It was like the other but because it was made of celluloïd (acétate de cellulose), it deformed above 35°.

They were only used for a limited period of time end 1951 and begining 1952

Concerning BG comment, I cannot tel but the last helmet do not have the standard chin strap. That said the equipements looks US for most of them.

All the best

Bruno

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast