Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

french otan m51

Article about: here's my scrimmed up m51 dated 1954 this was the style of helmet used in the first indochina war involving france with american backing ,the 2nd war was more commonly known as the vietnam w

Default french otan m51

here's my scrimmed up m51 dated 1954 this was the style of helmet used in the first indochina war involving france with american backing ,the 2nd war was more commonly known as the vietnam war as im sure most of you already know, the covering is just simply burlap /hessian with netting and finished with car innertube banding and for those who dont know otan was just nato backwards ,enjoy james french otan m51french otan m51french otan m51
    Regards James

Default Re: french otan m51

Another interesting helmet mate!...

thanks gunny and not a swastica in sight im fond of the design which in passing looks like a us m1 allthough when compared side by side is a totally different profile
    Regards James

Quote by col james View Post
    thanks gunny and not a swastica in sight im fond of the design which in passing looks like a us m1 allthough when compared side by side is a totally different profile
    Yep they are more of a taller dome shape!..

?

Oops sorry James ,missed this fine example, I really like the look of this one my friend!

Looks great all scrimmed up, I have been after an original 2 tone French net for one of my OTAN's for a lifetime, I will keep searching!

Are those US googles?

thanks opex ,i think there just nato spec goggles ,very much in the us m1944 style ,ive seen period referance pics of them fitted to the mle 51 ,why blue ill never know ,they stand out like a sore thumb
    Regards James

Im not a Euro fan but these french jobbies have got me tingling all over......maybe time to change a little,very nice once again James they keep getting better and hopefully your home will keep getting bigger too.......Jake.

I like the old school burlap / hessian covers they're very efficient for camouflaging a helmet

heres an interesting M1 helmet with a burlap cover that was used in a helmet book
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture french otan m51   french otan m51  

thanks jake im glad this lid has inspired you ,the french m51 genre of helmet is a great one for the collection ,there are so many variations but the good news is the are very good on the pocket to buy and usually are mid to late 1950's and unissued and many thanks battle gear for your referance pic im loving that nice salty cover ,out of interest what is the cover on the helmet shown on the front of the book it looks like ornamental doily mat
    Regards James

Quote by col james View Post
    thanks jake im glad this lid has inspired you ,the french m51 genre of helmet is a great one for the collection ,there are so many variations but the good news is the are very good on the pocket to buy and usually are mid to late 1950's and unissued and many thanks battle gear for your referance pic im loving that nice salty cover ,out of interest what is the cover on the helmet shown on the front of the book it looks like ornamental doily mat
    I think your correct col james, it appears to be a piece of fine table cloth or possible part of a curtain? he probably just scavenged anything he could find to make a snow camo cover for his helmet

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast