Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

French OTAN M51 Helmet

Article about: Nice Rene, been meaning to pick one up for a while but something else always comes up. Going to start working on it today. I like them a lot. Thanks, John

?

Default Re: French OTAN M51 Helmet

wow! THX guys for the detailed info! I'll find out in 4 hours if I actually won the item...I'll look into the history of this helmet more when I'll have it - I do this with all my items in my collection. Few weeks ago, I've known nothing about post-war Hungarian army gear and uniforms, since then I got books and spent ages on the internet...and now I'm giving advices to others

"books and ages on the internet" - good man! Its the only way to do it. But be careful - sometimes books and websites occasionally get it wrong too - use your own observation and judgement as well, and do not take anything for granted until you can reasonably believe it is true (from a reliable source). I've encountered many militaria fans who seem to never use *any* reference resources and make up facts out of their own heads, or struggle to find information that is in reality readily available. Books and the internet are your friends. Do you have a copy of Tamás Baczoni's HUNGARIAN ARMY UNIFORMS 1939-1945 ? Tamas is a fairly well known helmet collector and was?is? working at one of the museums in Budapest.

By the way, if you ever find a Hungarian M35/38 at a reasonable price please do let me know!

?

Yes, I have also his: HUNGARIAN ARMY UNIFORMS 1945-1956 and HUNGARIAN ARMY UNIFORMS 1957-1990 books as well...
    There are always M35 helmets on "vatera.hu" (Hungarian ebay), but finding WW2 painted ones are rare...and expensive. I think these helmets never get to being sold on vatera.hu but instead, collectors deal with each other privately. Unfortunatelly, I don't really know other Hungarian collectors...maybe one.
    But ok...this is OFFtopic stuff.

I'll open a thread soon for my Hungarian helmets, I do have a few...

Thanks,
    Fabe

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    "books and ages on the internet" - good man! Its the only way to do it. But be careful - sometimes books and websites occasionally get it wrong too - use your own observation and judgement as well, and do not take anything for granted until you can reasonably believe it is true (from a reliable source). I've encountered many militaria fans who seem to never use *any* reference resources and make up facts out of their own heads, or struggle to find information that is in reality readily available. Books and the internet are your friends. Do you have a copy of Tamás Baczoni's HUNGARIAN ARMY UNIFORMS 1939-1945 ? Tamas is a fairly well known helmet collector and was?is? working at one of the museums in Budapest.

By the way, if you ever find a Hungarian M35/38 at a reasonable price please do let me know!

?

PS: update - just won the helmet for 25 USD (6000 HUF)...

Hi Fabe

Congrats. 52 shells are not that comon and Menessa isn't also.

I agree with Greg, documentation is Key. Books of course as a reference. Internet but information are not always validated so needs to be taken carefully.
    I would say the collector's community too is important for the sgharing of knowledge and also the opportunity to see and touch some pièces.
    Having elements in hand is also very instructive

All the best and enjoy your helmet

Bruno

?

update: The helmet just arrived, see (crappy) pics...
    there is a very minor dent on the top-middle part of the steel helmet, but overall happy with it.
    the paint on the surface is very rough, like sand-paper.
    I did not see any markings on the plastic insert yet...

cheers,
    Fabe

French OTAN M51 HelmetFrench OTAN M51 HelmetFrench OTAN M51 HelmetFrench OTAN M51 Helmet

?

Upon further examination, I've found no markings on the plastic insert helmet - just the letters: "S I A I" - which is probably just the plastic manufacture marking...

For now, all that is known: it's a 'Type 3' insert made between 1963 - 1975

Probably will keep all these parts (steel helmet, plastic insert, camo-net) together, why change "its history"- maybe these been together since 1963...

Cheers,
    Fabe

great thread guys and some superb m51's ,here's my salade covered example please ignore the latter french f1 in the pics French OTAN M51 HelmetFrench OTAN M51 HelmetFrench OTAN M51 HelmetFrench OTAN M51 Helmet

fabe .thats is a real nice early m51 ,a very early shell,the liners never seem to pair up with the shell, my example is dated 1954 as is the shell but has different maker marks ,we can assume the same for yours the dents were synonymous with french headgear ,it was a tradition for the wearers to bump helmets together ,i suppose a good luck charm ,all my french headgear has a dent or two from my ww1 m15 right through to my m78 f1 ,i believe it was a tradition that ended with the introduction of the spectra composite ,nice find ,james

?

THX James, I do like the helmet...but I'm running out room in my flat

( I have 6 postwar Hungarian helmets, 2 WW2 Hungarian helmets, a German WW2 one, and now this )

As for the dent...those crazy Gauls

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast