Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Genuine WW1 French adrian?

Article about: I bought this a while ago, not for too much, But I am doubting it's authenticity myself - though I am unsure as I don't know too much on the Adrian helmet design. Could this perhaps be an Ad

?

Default Genuine WW1 French adrian?

I bought this a while ago, not for too much, But I am doubting it's authenticity myself - though I am unsure as I don't know too much on the Adrian helmet design. Could this perhaps be an Adrian that was done up after WW1? or Perhaps a WW2 model. I've heard of helmets being made as souvenirs after the war as well. Of course, I would love for this to be genuine (it looks as if there is a blue paint more akin to the early/mid war paint scheme under the darker point over?)

any help would be great!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Genuine WW1 French adrian?   Genuine WW1 French adrian?  

Genuine WW1 French adrian?   Genuine WW1 French adrian?  

It certainly looks right for a mle 1915 Adrian. It certainly is not the WW2 (mle 1926) as that was a one-piece shell with crest attached and yours is the typical multi-part construct of WW1. These were used for a long time after WW1 and were continually repainted. It wouldn't be certain that is was used during the '14-'18 war but it is highly likely.

There's nothing wrong with that. First pattern liner too!

?

Agree with the above and I wouldn't be surprised if the liner alone is worth more than the helmet shell, it's becoming difficult to find a complete example what with badges and liners being sold separately.

Have a look here at the different makers and colours of the Mle. 15. .: World War Helmets - Casque Adrian modèle 15 :.

Tony

Also I think it's good, here's one similar in my collection; They were originally painted with a light gray / blue color that turned out to be too visible and therefore the beginning of the war were repainted with a darker gray/blue.

Regards
    Roberto

Genuine WW1 French adrian?Genuine WW1 French adrian?Genuine WW1 French adrian?

for the benefit of FinMC, Roberto's example has the second pattern liner, and its another nice helmet too!

?

Right, this put's hope in me! Only question's I would have is; If there are any identification marks, where would I look to find them? Is it normal for the overcoat of darker blue paint to have 'paint lines' (you can see in the photo's) & Is there any explanation for why the crest seems to be off center? (or is it just me)

Also, would it be a bad idea to give the liner a gentle clean? (just the white stain with a slightly damp towel or cloth) or would it take away from the helmet.

Thanks for the great answers guys! Very interesting to hear about the 1st pattern liner!

Hi great helmet. Your helmet I believe is made by a company called Japy. There could be a blue ink stamp on the inside dome of the helmet where the air vent is and should be the letter J with a number. Your helmet like all French helmets were factory finished in a variety of light sky blue colours. Not great for camouflage so a lot were repainted in what ever they had to give better camouflage, you can see the brush marks on yours. Here is the link to my repainted Adrian helmet M15 Adrian artillery helmet

?

Would this be the ink stamp? It's hard to make out some of it, looks as if it had been covered by grime, rust or paint coats? Also, it may just be me but it almost looks as if there is a small silvery looking J next to it in the small rust bit. (It seems almost as if there have been 3 paint coats. There is an under most coat of blue-ish paint you can see in the photos, and of course the brushed on dark blue, but there also seems to be a layer in between? Of a more grey colour)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Genuine WW1 French adrian?   Genuine WW1 French adrian?  

Looks like the number 6 so could be the number after the J for Japy. Here is a picture of a Japy ink stamp
    Attached Images Attached Images Genuine WW1 French adrian? 

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast