Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

German M18 and M16 in Afghanistan

Article about: Every Friday here in Bagram Afghanistan they hold a bazar where local Afghan dealers come to sell their items. There is always M16 and M18 WW1 German Helmets here. I found on the google sear

Default German M18 and M16 in Afghanistan

Every Friday here in Bagram Afghanistan they hold a bazar where local Afghan dealers come to sell their items. There is always M16 and M18 WW1 German Helmets here. I found on the google search that the Afghan army brought a bunch of surplus after WW1 and it showed a pic of the army on parrade in 1959 wearing them. I even come across ones with ears cut out for radio operators. They are in poor condition with no liners and on the left side below the lug there are 2 small holes where they placed the Afghan national emblem. I can get replacement liners for them.
    the dealers always ask between $200 and $300 each for them and I always try to talk them down in price but they never seem to budge.
    My question is are they worth the asking price in that condition?
    Any input would be very helpful.
    Thanks

Default re: German M18 and M16 in Afghanistan

It seems to be a lot of money for something that is "not original" as in period. But in the mainstream it you want it, then it doesn't matter (to a large degree) what the price is, if you're hoping to make a quick profit, personally i don't think there's a lot left in it.

?

As I have seen in a last Kurtna collector's market- Afgan vet's from Estonia is being sell them for approx 200 USD...
    One interesting helmet I've seen was with the side badge with soviet civil tinny for child with soviet ww2 rocket launcher " Katyusha" and the same inscription
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Not my cup of tea. I would accuire one with an original liner in it for $250 tops. Not as much collectors value today as their world war 1 brothers but I am sure you will regret it later if you don't purchase one.

Johnnie
    ?

I bought 2 Austrian M-16 shells in Kabul for $25.00 each. All of these bazaar militaria dealers have spent too much time on the internet thinking their junk should command top dollar.

Johnnie

I would buy the whole stock for $25 each. (if the quality is right).

?

Default Re: German M18 and M16 in Afghanistan

Hello,

at the moment I am on Kaboul International Airport. Belgium Army.
    I bought a M16 type and a M18 type for 60$ each. But they are in relic condition without liners!

Good luck overthere and take care!!!

Kris.

The price is too high, collectors do not buy them.
    but you say you saw a ear cut helmet If you see inside the helmet ET64 even in relic condition buy it.
    chris

I was at Kabul Compound (now Camp Eggers) in 2004-05 where they offered these helmets in poor condition (relic at best) w/ no liners, moderate to heavy rust, and some w/ physical damage- for $60. I passed over purchasing any at that time- but wished that I would have now. I did bring home a couple of Soviet helmets, bayonets (Kalashnikov and M91), belts, Afghan medals, etc.... from my tour. The helmets I found while visiting different ANA and AMF bases- the others I purchased at the bazaar. I would have liked to have found an M18/M16 helmet in fair to good condition.

Bruce