Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Good Grief!

Article about: eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace I have one of those sat on a shelf. Bought from a retired RAF fast jet pilot. Has no prominence or liner though.... :-( AJ

?

Default Good Grief!

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

I have one of those sat on a shelf. Bought from a retired RAF fast jet pilot. Has no prominence or liner though.... :-(

AJ

?

Default Re: Good Grief!

Now I have recovered from shock, perhaps I can elaborate. I have one of those Falkland lids. I payed £40.00 for it about four years ago. Seems they have rocketed up in price.
    Strange how the collectors market works sometimes.

Regards,

A

Price are going up on these, not something I have ever collected, but I know a friend who does.

With the 30th anniversary looming, it will only create more interest.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

What I'd like to know is, how do you actually authenticate it as a genuine Argentine-used Falklands bringback? Of course you could just take someone's word for it (yes, of course) but given the fact that many - most? - Argentine-used helmets are US or even European retreads (with Spanish or Italian names written in them, must be right then) how can we tell from whence it came? There is the helmet-cover thing of course, but even then... Actually there are a couple on eBay at the moment which do indeed seem to have covers made from jacket-hoods in a common Argentine practice, so they may well be the right thing.

There is, however, a genuine Argentine-made M1 clone but its fantastically difficult to detect from photos alone. I *think* I have one, but even my Argentine correspondents can't tell for certain from photos. But there are real differences in the shell and the liner. Have a look here - Steel Combat Helmets - Militariarg.com - scroll down almost all the way.

Of course someone may well now tell me the errors of my thinking, for which I shall be genuinely grateful. I'd love to know a simple and certain way of doing this identification!
    Last edited by Greg Pickersgill; 03-11-2012 at 11:11 PM.

?

Hello Greg. I think you are right, especially if this huge price hike continues everybody will be finding one in the attic.
    However, as far as mine is concerned, I actually spoke to the guy I bought it off. He was retiring to the Isle of Wight after a long RAF service career. As the helmet was only forty quid, I cant see that someone retiring there would need £40 in a hurry!
    Then, I came up with this:
    Bunker 1982. South Atlantic War Era Militaria and Collectables . - Militariarg.com
    Scroll down a bit.

Mine is painted inside CAE 94 and 16 in the same place with the same white paint, also inside is a 60's style peace symbol!
    So I totally agree with you, and think these things are going to be faked to hell if they command those prices not least because they are so difficult to identify.
    Because I bought it before they became expensive, I have a good feeling about it.

Kind regards,

A

?

£515.00. Wow. I bet there is going to be a lot of attic rummaging going on in the UK. Falklands lids, who would have thought.

Regards,

Andy.

?

Good Grief!Good Grief!Good Grief!

For posterity.

Regards,

Andy.

?

Even though this looks to be a nice original helmet it is hard to understand why it would get to £515, considering the age and the fact that that the Falklands conflict has a limited market it doesn't add up. When you look at what else is available for that money.
    At least the ex-para has managed to supplement his war pension.

Quote by aj4010 View Post
    So I totally agree with you, and think these things are going to be faked to hell if they command those prices not least because they are so difficult to identify.
    Because I bought it before they became expensive, I have a good feeling about it.
    I am agree with you, I bought one of these almost 2 years ago at 58 pounds, and regret for some I missed on that time. I specially look for argentine stuff but those prices are out of my credit card limit
    About confirm if they were on the islands, is just a matter of trust if you purchase it to a veteran or a reliable source or if has any name of a war veteran. A few weeks ago I found a guy who weared a helmet 2 years before the war, when he was a conscript soldier.
    BTW, I am still searching for the 45th Commando who supossed took on '82 the helmet I bought... any help will be appreciated.

Regards,
    German.
    ps: Is my real first name, the spanish form of "Sherman"