Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Helmet ID

Article about: I found this helmet at the car boot sale, can any one help with id please. Markings on the liner are 7(size)FFL III 1952. Markings on the shell are not very clear. B ?? 22 953 Chin strap is

Default Helmet ID

I found this helmet at the car boot sale, can any one help with id please.

Markings on the liner are 7(size)FFL III 1952.

Markings on the shell are not very clear.
    B ??
    22 953

Chin strap is elasticated.

Thanks z4
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet ID   Helmet ID  

Helmet ID  

Default Re: Helmet ID

hi its a british tankers helmet pritty much the same as the ww2 model

Thanks for the quick reply Lee.

no problem

I have one of these too which can be seen here:

British Royal Armoured Corps pattern steel helmet

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I have one of these too which can be seen here:

British Royal Armoured Corps pattern steel helmet

Cheers, Ade.
    Ade, is there any reason why they are a different colour?

z4

Hi,
    Nice old armoured vehicle helmet, it,s nice to see one with the old type liner, these were in issue up to the eighties.
    Nice lid,.
    dave.

The difference in colour I cannot really explain. Post war stuff is not really my subject. But both are certainly original. I can only say I have not seen wartime dated ones in "service brown" colour like mine, most wartime issues are usually olive green. Why the change in colour post war I don't know. The standard post war Infantry helmet and A/B helmets never went to brown.

Cheers, Ade.

PS: Looking at the pics again, are you certain yours has not been overpainted in green? It appears to show some areas of service brown on the exterior.

Ade, had a look and what every the brown marks are they are on top of the green paint.

z4

Z4,

My first Gun Number 1(Bob) had one of these issued, the rest of the detatchment had the horrible turtle shells. It was not unusual for detatchment and crews to give them a quick coat of paint now and again especialy when we were repainting the Guns (this happened a lot at nearly any excuse). Within the Gun Battery (Bty) a few were held on the G1098 (sub unit equipment ledger) for the motor cycle which was allocated to the Bty guide, phased out in 80s when we got the green normal crash helmet. This helment that Bob had was his pride and joy as military fashion dictates its cool to be different. It got crushed one night during a night occupation exercise in BATUS Canada. That and his resperator and SMG, as was driving our gun that night my life was hell for 2 days while he made me try to repair it but it was a lost cause crushed under Nr 3 road wheel af an Abbot. It was his own fault as well as he was guiding me in the pitch dark. Ah them were the days...

Jock