Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is this helmet an Italian WW2 model?

Article about: After reading throug this thread, I'm feeling pretty good about the M33 my kid picked up a few months back. We didn't really know what it was, just had a paper tag on it that said Italian WW

Default Is this helmet an Italian WW2 model?

I just got this for 150, and it was listed as Russian. But to me it looks like a war time Italian helmet, can anyone verify, and did I get ripped off?Is this helmet an Italian WW2 model?

Default Re: Is this helmet an Italian WW2 model?

You've got a very good wartime Italian M33 helmet. With a very nice chinstrap and liner. As far as I can see it is a greyish helmet (grigio verde = grey green), which indicates early WW2.

The bales should be rectangular and not trapezoid. Can you check that?

Cheers,
    Emile

BTW: the price is excelent, from your point of view!

Ah thank you sir, that makes me feel a lot better... yes it has the correct rings...all I need is a Polish WZ and my collection will be nearly complete..

Quote by Mapuche Warrior View Post
    Ah thank you sir, that makes me feel a lot better... yes it has the correct rings...all I need is a Polish WZ and my collection will be nearly complete..
    Have a look at this site for more info about Polish helmets! POLONIA

Good luck.
    Emile
    Last edited by emileverbunt; 02-01-2011 at 01:21 PM. Reason: spelling

?

Do the liner fingers have a metal eyelet at the end? The liner may be post war. Do a web search for post war Italian helmets. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

?

Here is a pc of a W.W.2 liner. It is not the best I have. Just easiest to get to. Helmet was painted grey-green over blue. Rich A. in Pa.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this helmet an Italian WW2 model?   Is this helmet an Italian WW2 model?  

Hi guys, you are all very helpful, much appreciated, but now I am confused.. so let me get this straight... the original color for these was blue Grey like my helm in the original post, but the liner is post war because of the rivets? And so then where do the green helmet come in? Were they alter repainted the green, or id the green the original color?

?

The Royal Army helmets are grey-green. The Royal Air Force helmets are blue. My helmet shown is a Royal Air Force helmet overpainted grey-green. Note the end of the liner leather fingers. They have no metal reinforcement. The post-war helmets have the reinforced liner finger end. If the helmet band chinstrap bales are rectangular it is W.W.2. The leather liner looks to be a post war type due to the metal reinforced ends. Somebody took out the original leather liner and put in a post-war one. If you would like pics of anything let me know. Like I had mentioned this helmet was the easiest for me to find. I have 4 more. Rich A. in Pa.

The colour grey green is pre war and war time. During the war many received a coat of olive green over the original grey green.

The pre and war time liners were made of a darkish brown leather. Post war liners were made of a yellowish coloured leather.

Post war liners were stichted together in the shape of a Z. Pre war and war time liners mostly used two vertical lines. But not exclusively. The Z stitch may also be war time.

In war time liners sometimes grommets were used, but most, indeed, do not.

The chinstrap posts may be marked with a crown and letters i.e. AT.

So in my opnion this helmet is pre or war time. Look for markings in your helmet and let us know!

Cheers,
    Emile

?

ITALIANO 1933 Look at the liner fingers posted in the link. None have reinforced finger holes. Rich A. in Pa.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast