MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Helmet Pick-Ups - Belgian M71, French M78, Yugo M59, Ssh60 etc...

Article about: russ i forgot to complement you and your kid on your High Altitude Pressure Helmet it looks in superb condition and is very different and unusual from the norm i like it a lot, i hope you do

Default Helmet Pick-Ups - Belgian M71, French M78, Yugo M59, Ssh60 etc...

Here are some photos of our pickups over the last couple of months.......

Courtesy of a WRF member, this wonderful example of a fully dressed Belgium M71 now graces our helmet shelf. This is an earlier used BW M1A1 LL example.

Helmet Pick-Ups  -  Belgian M71, French M78, Yugo M59, Ssh60 etc...

Next, a French M78-F1 with a French M51 Salad cover that I added. It's a bit messy looking as the M51 cover is much larger than the M78 shell but from all I can tell, this is the salad cover that was used on this helmet. If somone knows different please let me know so that I can correct.

A Yugo/Serbian M59. Greg Pickersgill spotted this on eBay for me after reading I wanted one to put next to our M59/85. Thanks Greg, picked it up for next to nothing! Some refer to this helmet at a Ne44.

A side by side comparison of the M59 (left) and the M59/85 (right). Some flight differances in the shell sizes and the later model has removable/replaceble webbing.

An interesting helmet is this Slovenian T.91. Furnished to the Slovenian Army immediately following the 10 Day Independence War, I’m guessing they wanted/needed to distance themselves from their Yugoslavian equipment as quick as possible and this filled the gap until a new helmet could be decided on and procured.

Soviet Ssh60 with Afghan Cover - I’m not convinced of the authenticity of the cover but the helmet looks to be a real nice example. Thought I took a photo of the liner but I must have not pushed the button and put everything away before realizing.

Russian GSH-6LP High Altitude Pressure Helmet – Used mainly with Mig25’s and Mig-31’s but were used with a few other aircraft as well and also used in the Soviet Space Training Program. The kid has been bugging me to get one of these for the past year. I only took a photo of the helmet, as it sets on my kid’s shelf but it does come with a carrying canister and a mess of other goodies. Not hard to find just a bit pricy.

And last, this is a Belgian M71 that we already had but now has been finished off with a period camo cover and netting, again courtesy of a WRF member. This is a later example of the M71 with the French F-1 liner.

Regards,

Russ & Son

Default Re: Helmet Pick-Ups - Belgian M71, French M78, Yugo M59, Ssh60 etc...

the French F1 with salad cover can be easily trimmed for a better fit, the ties string just needs to be moved up the next higher set of holes and then just trim off the excess material and you could also add a piece of tire tube if you like for a more secure and neat appearance

you could use a paper punch to make new holes for the tie string to pass through so it looks the same

the cover should come with metal hooks to grip the edge of the helmet and the tie string is supposed to be around the shell not below the rim

Quote by battle gear View Post
    the French F1 with salad cover can be easily trimmed for a better fit, the ties string just needs to be moved up the next higher set of holes and then just trim off the excess material and you could also add a piece of tire tube if you like for a more secure and neat appearance

you could use a paper punch to make new holes for the tie string to pass through so it looks the same

the cover should come with metal hooks to grip the edge of the helmet and the tie string is supposed to be around the shell not below the rim
    Thanks for the info BG, simple, not sure why I didn;t think of doing this myself. Yes the string does have the metal hooks. I'll fiddle with it a little bit and see what I can come up with.

Thanks again,

Russ

?

Great stuff Russ, thanks for posting.

I wish I had a "space helmet" when I was a lad!

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Quote by aj4010 View Post
    "space helmet"
    SPACE HELMET is exactly what it is Andy, it takes up a TON of SPACE! Space is a rare commodity in ou humble abode and this thing certainly takes up more than it's fare share, plus we have to store its storage cantainer and he wants to also obtain the g-suit that goes with it............

?

Very nice collections, for the F1-78, you could always source a piece of car door inner trim to secure the salade to the rim of the shell, this is what the French used during these helmets usage.

russ ive been looking forward to your latest aquisitions and can i say its been worth the wait ,you have picked up some great lids your m71 puts mine to shame ,my example also has the black marker pen scribbling on the inside shell i also like the way you have dressed your other example ,your yugo lids look great ,your very lucky to get hold of the earlier m59 and it looks in swell condition ,i also am liking your Soviet Ssh60 does your example have any date stamps ,mine seem to have been painted over i also notice the small star under the front rim is of a different design to the earlier models keep up the good work russ and son ,james

Quote by Opex View Post
    Very nice collections, for the F1-78, you could always source a piece of car door inner trim to secure the salade to the rim of the shell, this is what the French used during these helmets usage.
    Opex, I have seen/read about using car door trim on these and think that might be the route I'll take so as to give them a little bit different look than the inner tube band. Thanks for the input and idea.

Russ
    Last edited by MySonsDad; 07-27-2012 at 01:22 AM.

James, thanks for the kind words and I'll try and answer all of your questions/comments.....

As for the Belgian M71, I take no credit at all for this very nice example, it was all the doing of a fellow forum member here and he sure took very good care of us with this lid, along with several other period goodies. I'll leave it up to him to confess his good deads just in case he would rather not.

Credit for the early Yugo M59 goes to Greg Pickersgill as he passed the ebay link on to me, possibly even in one of your threads. It sold for a whopping $14 USD, cost almost twice that to ship the darn thing....but I am happy to have an example of both and the later M59/85 has a real nice period camo cover.

Yes, the Ssh60 is dated 1972. I was amazed at how far and few between these helmets are, I guess maybe a transitional helmet between the 40 and the 68? I wish I could boast that the Afgahn period cover was authentic but I have no way to prove it and certainly have my doubts that it is based on its condition and no markings of any sort. I can not find any other examples to compare to, stiching or markings....info on soviet militaria really seems to be a best kept secret.

We've picked up a few other non-helmet odds and ends, over the past couple of months, I need to gather them all up and snap a couple of photos.

Looking forward to seeing your next addition.....it's about time isn't it?

Regerds,

Russ

?

Hi Russ.

No problem, when I work out to post pics on this forum, I will post up some of my French models if you like.

Car trim can be sourced from ebay fairly cheaply, and is of a similar design to the original French trim.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast