Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Hungarian M50 helmet

Article about: Hello to all, I want to show you this Hungarian M50 helmet, I found it in a junk shop; it is in very good condition and complete with all its parts, although it has been used. An interesting

Quote by easternwarfront View Post
    Hungarian M50 helmets for fire service. The one with army green paint is quite unique.
    Regarding the hungarian M50 helmets it's very important to know that there is an aluminium version aswell for musicians. Helmets for police units have a capital "R" stamped on the frontal rim.
    easternwarfront,
    I did not know these things, and I had never seen examples like yours.
    Thanks for showing!

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    All these Warsaw pact lids are pretty interesting in their own way, they make for quite cheap collecting too!...
    Hi Gunny,
    I have always collected helmets WW1 and WW2 and still is the area of my main interest, but over the years I've accumulating several helmets of this kind, and I find that is an collecting area technically interesting to deepen and also it is connected to an important historical period.
    I am no expert but I'm beginning to learn

Cheers
    Roberto

M50 parade helmet. Red star decal variations are known to exist however there is no significant difference between them.

?

Just a quick point: there is no such thing as Hungarian "M65" helmet...during the mid-1960s, they started making liner pads that were green and blue colored, and the chin-strap was also changed to slightly thinner leather and no more stiches - rivets were used. All these helmets (which I got to see in my time of collecting /4 years/, were dull/mat painted, but recently I just saw a gloss painted one.

Anyway, the main thing: two types: M50 and M70 (which had a vastly improved liner/chinstrap system, and it is still being used today - althou' for important foreigner missions, the Hungarian soldiers are using more modern US kevlar helmets, etc.

Here is my 1960s "M50" - see the green pads (not the off-white as before) and riveted chin-straps:
    Hungarian M50 helmetHungarian M50 helmet

...and 1960s "M50" with gloss finish:
    Hungarian M50 helmetHungarian M50 helmetHungarian M50 helmetHungarian M50 helmet

Both are in "unissued" condition - just some surface-scratches - due to storage in the last 50 years.

Cheers,
    Fabe
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hungarian M50 helmet  

Quote by Fabe View Post
    Just a quick point: there is no such thing as Hungarian "M65" helmet...during the mid-1960s, they started making liner pads that were green and blue colored, and the chin-strap was also changed to slightly thinner leather and no more stiches - rivets were used. All these helmets (which I got to see in my time of collecting /4 years/, were dull/mat painted, but recently I just saw a gloss painted one.

Anyway, the main thing: two types: M50 and M70 (which had a vastly improved liner/chinstrap system, and it is still being used today - althou' for important foreigner missions, the Hungarian soldiers are using more modern US kevlar helmets, etc.

Here is my 1960s "M50" - see the green pads (not the off-white as before) and riveted chin-straps:
    Hungarian M50 helmetHungarian M50 helmet

...and 1960s "M50" with gloss finish:
    Hungarian M50 helmetHungarian M50 helmetHungarian M50 helmetHungarian M50 helmet

Both are in "unissued" condition - just some surface-scratches - due to storage in the last 50 years.

Cheers,
    Fabe
    Thanks Fabe,
    nice post and important clarification on the correct description of the helmet variants.

Cheers
    Roberto

At this point to add more information to this nice discussion, after the appreciable explanation of Fabe, I want to show you this M70.
    I believe that should be the highest evolution of this helmets family, this is an example of my collection, mint condition, with its special plastic paint intact; I think that its function is to isolate from infrared

Thanks for looking.

Roberto

Hungarian M50 helmetHungarian M50 helmetHungarian M50 helmetHungarian M50 helmetHungarian M50 helmetHungarian M50 helmetHungarian M50 helmetHungarian M50 helmet

?

nice one! I have 5 of these - 2 of them are plastic painted - other 3 are dull/mat paint...

Fabe, can you please clarify, do you mean that early examples of the M70 do NOT have the glass anti-IR paint finish, and instead have a finish similar to the M50? If so I have not yet seen one.

The M70 used to be a very rare helmet here in the British Isles, but in recent years more and more have come on sale, quite cheaply. I have a lot of M50, but maybe I should be looking for M70 variants also.

?

I mean: the early ones have gloss paint - and the ones that were made in the late 1980s, have mat paint - more mat than the M50 ones...I have 3 of these.
    I'll post them in my M50 thread - coming soon - hopefully this week...

?

Please see my post here... : Hungarian "Cold War" Collection 1945 - 1990 post #76

You will see the difference between the 1970s & 1980s M70 helmets.

Cheers,
    Fabe

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    Fabe, can you please clarify, do you mean that early examples of the M70 do NOT have the glass anti-IR paint finish, and instead have a finish similar to the M50? If so I have not yet seen one.

The M70 used to be a very rare helmet here in the British Isles, but in recent years more and more have come on sale, quite cheaply. I have a lot of M50, but maybe I should be looking for M70 variants also.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast