Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Identify Helmet

Article about: I need some help identifying this helmet. Does anyone know what it is?

pjbraden
    ?

Default Identify Helmet

I need some help identifying this helmet.

Does anyone know what it is?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identify Helmet   Identify Helmet  

Default Re: Identify Helmet

Hi and welcome to the forum!

It is a WW1 US steel helmet. The painted insignia is for the US 30th Infantry Division. Some info on the insignia:

The "Old Hickory" Division shoulder patch was designed for 30th Division troops of World War I in honor of President Andrew Jackson, Tennessee statesman who led troops from Tennessee and the Carolinas in the War of 1812. When this insignia was first issued in France in 1981, it was inadvertently worn with the "O" on its side, but was changed in 1940 to the upright position. The insignia combines the initials "O" and "H" and the Roman numeral "XXX" in blue, with an oval-shaped background in red.

Cheers, Ade.

pjbraden
    ?

Thank you.

BuglerJay
    ?

It's a WWI/Great War era US 30th Infantry Division "Old Hickory" helmet. They used the "Brodie" style and were generally issued with British helmets since they, with the 27th Infantry Division "O'Ryan's Roughnecks" formed the US II Corps and were assigned to the British Army under Field Marshall Haig against the Hindenburg Line. Nice example.

delta-papa
    ?

The helmet shown is a U.S. model 1917, which was copied from (I believe) the British No. 1 Mk 1.