Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Indian Patka Helmet (Safety Head Gear )

Article about: I was very pleased to recently add one of these helmets to my collection as they are quite rare and hard to source and almost never come up for sale in the marketplace and I know of only one

?

Default Indian Patka Helmet (Safety Head Gear )

I was very pleased to recently add one of these helmets to my collection as they are quite rare and hard to source and almost never come up for sale in the marketplace...
    I know of only one other example in a private collection.. I do prefer the helmets that I collect to be at the least used and or field worn that said in this particular case I made an exception do to the rarity of said helmet system..
    The patka helmet system is said to have excellent bullet-proof characteristics and provide comprehensive head protection the helmets provide protection against fragmentation munitions and low velocity bullets.
    The patka helmets have been exclusively designed for the Indian Army, paramilitary forces such as the Rashtriya Rifles,CRPF and various state police departments and have performed well in the field and have been used in the theatre of operations in Jammu and Kashmir Provence's they were originally developed as head protection to be used by Sikh soldiers, as they wear their ‘Pagdi,dastaar so the initiation was to make such a platform which could be easily used with there head dress...
    This particular example is an older model and and the plates are manufactured from a high-density, die-pressed phantom steel a cushioning material is used in the inner lining of the patka helmets for additional comfort the weight varies slightly dependant on size 1.4 kg.to 1.5 kg.
    The patka are said to provide excellent protection against 7.62, 5.56 to the forehead area and the sides and offer protection against 9 mm weapons systems in the rear and the area of the dome with an additional ballistic insert also available that can be fitted in the interior of the helmet to enhance the protection in this area...
    These particular helmet systems are produced by a few manufactures and are offered in varying degrees of styles covers ( camo patterns ) extra ballistic padding such as neck veils,dome inserts and removable brims and are now produced with Kevlar as well which has lightened up the over all weight of the system...

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Indian Patka Helmet (Safety Head Gear )   Indian Patka Helmet (Safety Head Gear )  

Indian Patka Helmet (Safety Head Gear )   Indian Patka Helmet (Safety Head Gear )  

Indian Patka Helmet (Safety Head Gear )   Indian Patka Helmet (Safety Head Gear )  

Last edited by Mark K; 11-04-2016 at 04:13 AM.

Oh, very nice catch indeed! Those are REALLY hard to come by, being current issue (although I understand they are actually coming out in Kevlar now). It's a good bet the Indian Army will use them till the 2030's or so...being the IA and all, they throw nothing away. Last I looked some units were still using FALS and Patt. 37 webbing. That looks mint condition, too. Nice one!

?

Thank you for the reply and yes you are correct they are indeed now being manufactured out of Kevlar and yes these are currently being used by the Indian Army and para organizations alike and are very probaby re-used over and over again and re-paired as needed and re-issued ...

Regards Mark

Wow Mark ,nice aquisition ,I'm not familiar with these but do find it very appealing as a world helmet collector ,i guess in part because it is just so different from the norm ,reminds me slightly of the soviet sphera helmets perhaps due to the padding ,nice camo print too ,i like it very much and thanks for sharing
    regards James

?

Many thanx James for me part of the attraction of course is the odd design as I can think of no other helmet that I know of to compare it to...
    And as to the Camo print it is one of my favorites and I have seen smocks and field jackets for sale from time to time with this print and think I will be hunting down a smock and trousers to display with said helmet...

Regards Mark

Mark is it possible to break the helmet down into its composite parts and are the covers integral to the design or interchangable ,hope you score some matching bdu's too

?

Hi James yes the helmets can be taken down and the parts removed such as the Phantom steel insert plates ,Kevlar plates , and padding for service and or repair or possiby the wearer may just want to change out the cover for a camoflauge pattern that may be more suitable for a different location and or environment. I f you are intrested I will disassemble the helmet to show some of the inner components...

Regards Mark

Thanks for the insight Mark much appreciated just my curious mind working overtime I'm afraid ,I'd feel better if perhaps you left this helmet as found as I'd hate to see it damaged trying to disassemble it ,Nice the covers can be swapped out ,do you think you will try and collect some more camo designs to fit oh one more question ,Is it one size fits all design ? Sorry to keep up the questions but its not everday you see a new design like this

?

James my understanding is that they come in three sizes...And as to the disassembly I have seen one other example with the plate removed so if I can manage it with out comprimising the integrity of the helmet system I will do so thanx for the intrest..

Regards Mark

well if your sure Mark ,as long as your carefull though ,i would gain no pleasure in seeing it damaged in some way ,thanks for the info on the sizing too

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast