Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Info needed on Belgian helmet

Article about: Hi guys I have 1952 Belgian helmet with the ABL (Armee Belge/Belgische Leger) marking, dated 1952. Doe anyone know which service branch in the Belgium armed forces would use this helmet?

?

Default Info needed on Belgian helmet

Hi guys

I have 1952 Belgian helmet with the ABL (Armee Belge/Belgische Leger) marking, dated 1952. Doe anyone know which service branch in the Belgium armed forces would use this helmet?

These would have been issued preferentially to Armoured troops, or more specifically troops with motor transport or SP artillery. Mind you it is also known in Belgium as the 'Recce' helmet, which implies it was used by recon troops, scout cars, armoured cars and so on. In service for quite a while, from the ealy 50s until the 1970s, I think. This is a very nice example of a hard to find helmet. Lucky person!

?

Thanks Greg! I saw similar helmets on the net but not one exactly like this.

Worth remembering that while this is similar to the British AC helmet it is not the same; a copy, yes, but not an identical one. These were definately made in Belgium, as were the copies of the British mk2 (fairly common), the Para helmet (not uncommon, but sometimes has the flag scratched off so as to be passed off as original british) and the copy of the Mk3 (genuinely rare!).

?

This is a really nice example of an early Belgian made helmet. It's the fist time I've noticed it, but the liner bolt is offset from the center so the helmet sits differently on the head, The British version I believe was in the center. I don't think you will find better.
    Steve.

?

Quote by Tinhat View Post
    The liner bolt is offset from the center so the helmet sits differently on the head, The British version I believe was in the center. I don't think you will find better.
    Steve.
    ]]

Actually the bolt is a also bit off-set on British-made RAC Steel helmets, however on the Belgian ones, both the rim and lugs are magnetic steel, and also the Belgian lugs are largerer (20x35mm) than on the British version (20x20mm).
    Roger

Info needed on Belgian helmetInfo needed on Belgian helmet

?

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    These would have been issued preferentially to Armoured troops, or more specifically troops with motor transport or SP artillery. Mind you it is also known in Belgium as the 'Recce' helmet, which implies it was used by recon troops, scout cars, armoured cars and so on. In service for quite a while, from the ealy 50s until the 1970s, I think. This is a very nice example of a hard to find helmet. Lucky person!
    These helmets were used by the Belgian Para-Commando troops in the 50's.
    I am Belgian Paratrooper myself and have the exact same helmet from my own base when we cleaned up the cellars.
    It found him in a dusty old box and they let me keep him. :-)

?

These helmets were used by the Belgian Para-Commando troops in the 50's.
    I am Belgian Paratrooper myself and have the exact same helmet from my own base when we cleaned up the cellars.
    It found him in a dusty old box and they let me keep him. :-)[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I do have to correct myself here. This helmet is indeed not a Paratrooper helmet.
    But on the outside it looks very same as the helmets the Belgian Para's used at that time.
    Here are some pictures. These helmets are also not easy to find.

Info needed on Belgian helmetInfo needed on Belgian helmetInfo needed on Belgian helmet[QUOTE=KRISSE;1757006]