Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Iraqi helmet first gulf war bring back

Article about: Hi all i have a helmet that was brought back from iraq after the first gulf war we are looking to sell and struggling to identify it 100% we think from we was told from my dad it was taken o

Default Iraqi helmet first gulf war bring back

Hi all

i have a helmet that was brought back from iraq after the first gulf war we are looking to sell and struggling to identify it 100% we think from we was told from my dad it was taken off a dead soldier of the iraqi replucian guards and from pictures we have found its looks to be the same but there are no marking on the helmet i have attached pictures any help would be greatly appreciated

Iraqi helmet first gulf war bring backIraqi helmet first gulf war bring backIraqi helmet first gulf war bring backIraqi helmet first gulf war bring backIraqi helmet first gulf war bring back

many thanks craig

i hope this is the right place to post this sorry if not

Iraqi M90 helmet, sometimes they have a rubber edge trim. these did not really see much use in the first gulf war, more likely to be from the 2nd gulf war.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Almost certainly a used Iraqi helmet - M90...but missing the rubber rim piece

Iraqi helmet first gulf war bring backIraqi helmet first gulf war bring back

Value-wise???...they aren't overly rare....but if it had provenance (factual story / evidence behind it...pics?...who picked it up? where etc) it might help the value....

and of course all are claimed to be Republican guard....though without the unit markings or other evidence I could doubt that.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Yep...so true JB....like every German tank was a tiger....every allied tank was a Sherman and every field gun was an 88......most of the time the incorrect categorisation is totally innocent.....but sadly quite a few are less scrupulous......

My advice would be to get as much detail as possible about it, a pic or two....bung them all together then store them for 20 years......

thanks for the replies the only thing i know 100% is that it is from the first gulf war as my dad brought it back been in a shed ever since

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Iraqi M90 helmet, sometimes they have a rubber edge trim. these did not really see much use in the first gulf war, more likely to be from the 2nd gulf war.
    The trouble with these is that there was much variation. I don't know but likely due to source, contract etc.

It's true that they weren't widely "used" in the 1st Gulf although they seemed to be widely issued because most were thrown away as soon as possible by their owners!

I don't recall ever seeing one from the field that actually had the rubber rim. Not sure why that is. Maybe they tended to come off or maybe troops who were desperate for decent equipment used the rubber for another pupose? Virtually no surrendering pers had helmets (chucked as mentioned) but most had some kind of hat usually of a cold weather kind (they tended to be hoovered up still in night time cold mode). Helmet markings tended to be very hit and miss although just like TR stuff there was far more "Republican Guard" kit recovered than there ever were Republican Guard troops!

I recall a lot of recovered AK47 that had "special markings" (actually just butt numbers or sometimes an inscribed prayer)

As ever, buy the story not the item... no... wait... that's wrong isn't it?

Regards

Mark
    PS I meant to say the only one I had (I was with 7 Armd Bde whose home base was Fallingbostel/Hohne/Soltau in Germany) did have side markings which were hand painted unit marks but like most were barely visible due to sand errosion. I traded it with a Dutch friend in Arnhem (just over the border from Fallingbostel) where there was a monthly fair back then. Wish I still had it!
    Last edited by Watchdog; 02-28-2019 at 07:57 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

nice battlefield pick up, if you had a old photo showing your father actually holding the helmet in the combat zone to give it some provenance that would help add some value.

In its favour the webbing looks fairly intact. As said a contemporary picture of your Dad helps its value, not scarce but value only going to increase over time.