Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Iraqi Helmets From The First Storage Container Opened...More To Come

Article about: As I detailed in my earlier post, I have a large collection of Iraqi items that were brought-back from Desert Storm and have been packed in storage containers for the last 15 to 20 years. To

Default Iraqi Helmets From The First Storage Container Opened...More To Come

As I detailed in my earlier post, I have a large collection of Iraqi items that were brought-back from Desert Storm and have been packed in storage containers for the last 15 to 20 years.

Today I had some time and I took one of the containers off the shelf and here's what I found:

The first piece is a well-worn M80 helmet with a painted green-white-green rectangular marking on each side:

Does anyone have any idea what the markings represent?

The second piece is burlap covered M80. The construction is slightly different than the first burlap cover I posted with a well-stitched seam down the front of the helmet.

I have seen a number of burlap covered helmets on various forums and on eBay, and the wear and tear, or rather the lack thereof in comparison to helmets that I have and know to be correct, leaves me very skeptical about the originality what is being commonly sold on today's collector market.

I would advise my fellow collectors to pay close attention to the damage, wear, and tear that results when these flimsy and poorly made burlap covers are subjected to actual battlefield use. Most fake covers look fake, that's the good news.

The bad news is that while it's difficult, a good faker who takes the time and has the skill can replicate honest use and aging. Most of the bad guys put little or no effort into the crimes they commit. But some do. Be careful!

There are three more helmets in this container and I'll try to unwrap and photograph them soon.

A big welcome,WAP you have such an amazing collection of various type Helmets from the Gulf,(the best iv'e seen)however has it bothered you having all this history locked away in storage tubs for so long?I had 3 boxes in the loft but sold most of it purely based on the notion that if I can't display then really whats the point of having it,maybe its just my reversed psychology way of thinking anyway great stuff your showing............

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    A big welcome,WAP you have such an amazing collection of various type Helmets from the Gulf,(the best iv'e seen)however has it bothered you having all this history locked away in storage tubs for so long?I had 3 boxes in the loft but sold most of it purely based on the notion that if I can't display then really whats the point of having it,maybe its just my reversed psychology way of thinking anyway great stuff your showing............
    Rudder:

Thanks for the complement! I understand your point concerning the difficulty of enjoying a collection that is stored away, and it's a problem that I cannot resolve at present.

The difficulty I face, and it's entirely a self-created dilemma, is that I collect so many different types, periods, and nationalities of militaria that I have acquired literally a mountain of "stuff."

Iraqi and Desert Storm militaria represents perhaps 10% of my collection. And each of my separate sub-collections is just as comprehensive, just as extensive, if not more so than my Desert Storm collection.

In short I have too much stuff. But I love it!

I just know that I'm happier having what I have, even if I cannot enjoy it at present, than I would be selling items that are out of sight. At least now I can hope that some day, I will be able to construct a nice "war room" like I have seen others here display.

?

Impressive sir.

?

Nice collection of Iraqi helmets.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Thanks again for the kind comments! I had a few moments this afternoon so I unwrapped one of the last three helmets in this container and I was pleased to discover one of my favorites from the "old days." As you can see it's a M80 helmet with a crudely incised paratrooper symbol and three triangles. The liner and even the chin straps are covered with writing.

When I hold this helmet I can easily image the Iraqi soldier writing on the liner and using his bayonet or pocket knife to carve the symbols into his helmet. It's a crude, but in its way beautiful reminder that these pieces we collect were worn and used by real, living and breathing individuals. And I say that without ignoring, excusing, or glossing over the any of the wrongful actions done by them.

Any thoughts about the three triangles or a translation of the graffiti would be appreciated.

Gentlemen:

Is there a way to edit a post once made, because if there is I must be overlooking it.

Thanks!

very nice collection shown so far especially with the unit markings i especially like the script running the full length of the chinstraps too as to the translations i havent a clue but there is an online arabic translator if you have the time and patience i think we have a lot in common in collecting tastes ,i too have a broad range of helmets from all nations and do tend to go ocd once i start i look forward to the opening of the other storage boxes

Quote by James C View Post
    very nice collection shown so far especially with the unit markings i especially like the script running the full length of the chinstraps too as to the translations i havent a clue but there is an online arabic translator if you have the time and patience i think we have a lot in common in collecting tastes ,i too have a broad range of helmets from all nations and do tend to go ocd once i start i look forward to the opening of the other storage boxes
    James:

We birds of a feather need to stick together because the rest of the world thinks us mad!

The fourth piece from this container is an M80 helmet with a burlap cover secured in place by the M90 rubber rim:

Any thoughts concerning the Latin letters "A" and "J" which are written on the liner cross webs? Despite the almost universal presence (in varying degrees) of English around the world, and its frequent use on labels of items produced outside of Iraq, I can't recall seeing other examples of the informal use of English or the Latin alphabet on pieces of equipment personalized by the individual Iraqi soldiers. Your thought?

One last helmet and then it's time to open another box.
    Last edited by War is Peace; 03-30-2015 at 09:17 PM.

very nice indeed i would say this hessian covered iraqi helmet is an m80 with the latter m90 rim ,still its very nice and an interesting piece so thanks for showing and regarding the arabic text ive noticed what would seem to be a J on an example of mine so i can only presume it is arabic ,if you have time check out my small iraqi collection ,ive yet to add the gasmasks i have to it though JimmyC's posts | Collectors Weekly

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast