Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Iraqi issued British MKII Tank helmet?

Article about: Gday all, An interesting one this I think.Obtained by a RAN serviceman during his deployment to the Gulf region in 1991. The shell appears to be a repainted British MKII Tank (Para,dispatch

Default Iraqi issued British MKII Tank helmet?

Gday all,
    An interesting one this I think.Obtained by a RAN serviceman during his deployment to the Gulf region in 1991.
    The shell appears to be a repainted British MKII Tank (Para,dispatch rider etc) helmet that was used by an Iraqi during the first Gulf War.
    I first thought of the "Red Crescent" organisation but worked out the crescent was also present on some period M80 Iraqi combat lids.There apppears to be some form of worn unit insignia on the side and a stenciled M on the rear.
    I am assuming the gents name is the text on the inner rear and maybe a prayer on the inner front.
    Sadly there is no liner only the shell.
    As Iraq was a British protectorate it's presence in this country is quite understandable but the shells history is a tad cloudy.

Iraqi issued British MKII Tank helmet?Iraqi issued British MKII Tank helmet?Iraqi issued British MKII Tank helmet?Iraqi issued British MKII Tank helmet?Iraqi issued British MKII Tank helmet?Iraqi issued British MKII Tank helmet?Iraqi issued British MKII Tank helmet?Iraqi issued British MKII Tank helmet?

Any thoughts or comments on this shell would be greatly appreciated guy's ?
    Have a good one and all the best.
    Dave

Default Re: Iraqi issued British MKII Tank helmet?

Cool lid. The red and yellow symbol on the sign could be a RAC flash of a square made up two triangles.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Default Re: Iraqi issued British MKII Tank helmet?

Gday Jerry,
    That's along the line of what I was thinking re the red and yellow insignia remains,old tankers lid.
    Shame the original liner is not there as that would have given a manufacturing date I believe.It's story in Iraqi service would sure be interesting but near impossible to ascertain which is a bugger.
    It's different that's for sure.
    Cheers mate
    Dave

airborne1968
    ?

I'm curious to know if you've found any new information on this helmet? You stated earlier that a RAN member acquired it during the 91 Gulf War. Do you know where that person was located at the time of acquiring the helmet?

?

Is not the marking on the Front what they used for Medics as we use the Red Cross? I am rather sure it is.

Dean O
    Canada

?

Dave, that is super looking "RAC" Helmet, the paint finish and Arabic script are amazing with a lot of detail , I am a passionate collector of Militaria from the Gulf '91 conflict Iraqi combat helmets especially,so I really appreciate you posting this one up. I have seen many pictures of British Mk 4 Helmets used by Iraqi forces never one of these. Opex

?

Nice HSRAC Dave I would be happy to have it in my collection with out a doubt an interesting helmet I am rather curious about the liner my self I could not help but notice the pin /post for the lift the dot fastener is absent I wonder if this was purposely done so a different type of liner system could be used and or if the rivet was broke or pulled out which has been known to happen from time to time on the Mk IIs.
    Rather an odd wear pattern on the interior of the shell I wonder is it the same thickness as the Mk II buffer pads on the exterior of the liner ?

Regards Mark

?

Thats a very interesting example, love it!

airborne1968
    ?

Iraqi issued British MKII Tank helmet?
    It may be a Saudi Helmet from about the time of Operation Desert Shield / Storm 1990/91. See the helmet on the Soldier to the right. Tom

?

Fantastic reference picture Tom,many thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast