Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Iraqi Liner

Article about: I just had this today, and I really wasn't going to bother to post it, just record it for myself and store it for now. It struck me though, just how badly made this thing is, and if it is Ir

?

Default Iraqi Liner

I just had this today, and I really wasn't going to bother to post it, just record it for myself and store it for now. It struck me though, just how badly made this thing is, and if it is Iraqi (it may be Saudi too) I couldn't possibly imagine facing the might of the Coalition in the Gulf War(s) with this contraption on my head. Some troops were issued with liners only and no steel pots I believe.
    It is a post WW2 American liner originally, before the "refurb."
    The webbing is made up of various bit's of what look like US nape straps, shows much wear and repair too. A nasty piece of kit to wear I suspect, and the sweatband is upside down!

Iraqi LinerIraqi LinerIraqi LinerIraqi LinerIraqi LinerIraqi LinerIraqi LinerIraqi LinerIraqi Liner

Default Re: Iraqi Liner

My mate who worked for a security firm in Iraq brought a helmet back, a really shoddy composite thing looking like an M1, i wouldn't liked to have worn it faced with an enemy armed with pea shooters.

This is interesting. I have a thickly constructed South Korean made composite Iraqi helmet (below) which was brought home from the Gulf by a British soldier in 2003, but i have not seen a US liner being used by Iraq before. It would be great to know if it is definitely of Iraqi origin, but an interesting piece none the less.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Iraqi Liner   Iraqi Liner  

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    This is interesting. I have a thickly constructed South Korean made composite Iraqi helmet (below) which was brought home from the Gulf by a British soldier in 2003, but i have not seen a US liner being used by Iraq before. It would be great to know if it is definitely of Iraqi origin, but an interesting piece none the less.
    That's the type my mate brought back!....

Yes, they are awful helmets and wouldn't give much protection as you say. I have various pieces of Iraqi kit and its all shoddy in one way or another. Some of it looks home made.

?

I managed to grab the green version a while back. More like loosely compressed fibre than a true composite.

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Iraqi Liner  

they also wore the US liners as a hard hat during training , very light and useful for wear in hot desert climate, they probably had the steel shells to match the liner if they needed more protection

the Iraqi M80 is actually a pretty sturdy helmet and would be better than nothing, it can still protect against richochets and bumps & bruises, falling debris, etc , it's more of a hard hat than a full combat helmet

Ive seen several US liners in use by the Iraqi's with US marked webbing , headbands, they also used US issue M1 steel helmets

?

Thanks for showing this liner, very interesting example, not seen anything of the like before.

Did it have some sort of emblem /badge on the front of the liner, or is it just paint wear?

Opex

?

Quote by Opex View Post
    Thanks for showing this liner, very interesting example, not seen anything of the like before.

Did it have some sort of emblem /badge on the front of the liner, or is it just paint wear?

Opex
    Thanks again!

There was definitely something there once, and oddly I was just looking into what that may have been.

Iraqi Liner

Something like this maybe?

Andy

?

Hi Andy, your welcome.

And the symbol could be something that was on the front of your liner, even more intriguing!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast