Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Israel used MKI* or MKII

Article about: I noticed this interesting helmet for sale, A British style shell with typical Israeli riveted liner? It has a very thick layer of camo which covers the edge suggesting it is a rimless helme

Default Israel used MKI* or MKII or ?

I noticed this interesting helmet for sale, A British style shell with typical Israeli riveted liner? It has a very thick layer of camo which covers the edge suggesting it is a rimless helmet, perhaps one the same as shown in another thread I recently commented on Israeli made Brodie Helmet or maybe it is a British shell as the liner is more the UK clone type than that made in Israel for the other helmet.

Apart from the Magon David painted insignia -which might or might not be correct but that does not bother me- I really like this helmet, but wonder what these should actually sell for?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Israel used MKI* or MKII   Israel used MKI* or MKII  

Israel used MKI* or MKII  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Hi Jerry, it does look like a similar shell to locally produced civilian shell, it would be easy to tell if you had it hand.

I’ve also looked at these, the seller had and still has a number of marked shells and I was skeptical about some of them and after 25 years in and out if Israel I’ve never seen that many helmets in one location. In fairness it could be just over cautious ebay-ism creeping in, they could have come across someone’s collection. The one you show is one of those I was skeptical about, the camo coating doesn’t align with the badge, but then I question why bother to fake it.

Personally I think they are on the high end of pricing but not extreme considering they are offering free shipping.

I was hoping they hang around until I can get out there again and try and see them in the flesh.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I did try to visit some shops last time I was there but never found much to buy.
    I like the basic helmet, not so much the badge. As you say, if you deduct what the postage would be, the price is ok imo for an Israeli used helmet.

One think I notice is it appears to have a UK MKIII chinstrap lugs rather than the WWI split rivet types seen on the locally produced rimless lids. MKIII lugs are unusual to see on MKI*'s, but then again I have one in my collection so it did happen, or is a normal MKII than lost its rim which again did happen. Or there were more variants of the locally produced Israeli helmet including use of a different lug.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

It my guess is that is a civilian shell that at some point has had the liner and chinstrap upgraded and reissued. It's impossible to know for sure but most Israeli helmets have been refurbished and reissued over many years, particularity in the early years of the state, it's totally feasible that the civilian helmet was upgraded for military use in the 50s and then reissued to ambulance or civil defence later.
    I think the liner is an Israeli made copy of the MkII and the chinstrap also looks locally made. If you get it I think you will notice the difference in the shell form the MkI and MkII, its lighter and has a much duller 'ring'.

Steve.

?

If you go back the best shop I have found is Palastina in the Jaffa flea market, I think the sign is in Hebrew but it has the motorbike and sidecar parked outside. Mainly items from mandate period, but has a selection of militaria and always a few helmets, prices are up there but that's were the HSATs have turned up. The fleas market behind the row of shops is pretty crappy but the odd item turns up.

There is also a flea market under the Dizengoff fountain on Friday mornings, again it's a bit random.

Thanks Steve.

I did try to get to the jaffa flea market, but failed, next time I will succeed!

I did buy it as the enigma of it bugged me.
    Last edited by Jerry B; 12-03-2018 at 08:39 PM.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

could it be aussie or an NZ shell, both of those are raw edge and have those type of chinstrap lugs, just a guess

Quote by JohnF View Post
    could it be aussie or an NZ shell, both of those are raw edge and have those type of chinstrap lugs, just a guess
    Time will tell John, but perhaps....
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Hi John, I think you have a good point there, I’m not familiar with Aus/NZ helmets so checked some out. The thick cammo paint looks similar and the Australians active in that area during WWII.

Looking forward to finding out more once it arrives Jerry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast