Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Israeli M1 Helmet - Please Help with any info

Article about: Hello, I was hoping someone could help me out. I purchased a helmet from a guy today for \\$40. He thought it was a US WWII Paratrooper helmet and I knew it was not. I did not know at the time

Default Israeli M1 Helmet - Please Help with any info

Hello,
    I was hoping someone could help me out. I purchased a helmet from a guy today for $40. He thought it was a US WWII Paratrooper helmet and I knew it was not. I did not know at the time, but I later found out it was an Israeli helmet. Is there anything anyone can tell me about it?
    Also, what is it worth?
    Did I get my $40 worth?
    Thanks
    Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Israeli M1 Helmet - Please Help with any info   Israeli M1 Helmet - Please Help with any info  

Israeli M1 Helmet - Please Help with any info   Israeli M1 Helmet - Please Help with any info  

Israeli M1 Helmet - Please Help with any info   Israeli M1 Helmet - Please Help with any info  

?

Default Re: Israeli M1 Helmet - Please Help with any info

Here's the more interesting stuff I dug up: Called the "M-1 Kasda" they were made and issued from the 60's to the 80's, the chinstraps are based on the British MKII AT helmet chinstraps, some of the shells used were re-conditioned US Surplus shells, with a 3rd chinstrap hardpoint added to the rear. The symbol stamped into the shell is the Isreali Defence Force symbol, along with the last two digits of the year of manufacture.

Tama is the liner manufacturer. What you have here is 100% Isreali made.

Source:
    Google Translate

Nitram

did you get it for $40 total? or plus shipping?

$40 for a complete Israeli M1 is a fair price, plus yours is in very good condition, very clean

to make it even better for display, you could add a burlap cover and piece of black rubber tire tube to hold it on

sometimes they put netting over burlap
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Israeli M1 Helmet - Please Help with any info   Israeli M1 Helmet - Please Help with any info  

It was $40 total. I picked it up locally.

?

I think you got a nice helmet $40, not the most collectable but it is 100% Israeli manufacture. I've only seen the modified M1 shell before, not one with the IDF stamp. 'Kasda' is the word for 'helmet' in Hebrew.

Great news. Thank you for all of your input. The guy who sold it to me said he got it from a local Army Navy store in the late 90s. I knew it was not a WWII helmet but I figured for $40 I could not go wrong.

mannie52
    ?

Hello,
    I know that I'm replying to a post that's several years old, but I just wanted to chime in. You got a really good deal there especially for the condition its in, which is very good. Initially the Israelis used US M1 helmets but eventually began to produce their own versions. If you put the Israeli M1 side-by-side with the US M1 you will see that the skirt on the Israeli has a much wider flair, also the shell is a little larger than its US counterpart. Another difference is the liner which is much thicker than the US M1. That's a really nice helmet you have there.

Best wishes,
    Mannie Gentile

Quote by mannie52 View Post
    Hello,
    I know that I'm replying to a post that's several years old, but I just wanted to chime in. You got a really good deal there especially for the condition its in, which is very good. Initially the Israelis used US M1 helmets but eventually began to produce their own versions. If you put the Israeli M1 side-by-side with the US M1 you will see that the skirt on the Israeli has a much wider flair, also the shell is a little larger than its US counterpart. Another difference is the liner which is much thicker than the US M1. That's a really nice helmet you have there.

Best wishes,
    Mannie Gentile
    the Israeli shell does have a more flared out look but the shell looks a little smaller than my US Vietnam era helmet in the photo.

?

Great pick up and price in my opinion, I have wanted to add one of these to my own collection for many years so congratulations on picking up this superb condition helmet.

The three point bale attachment is a most efficient method of keeping the shell and liner in place when in use, I do wonder why the US never adopted this system?

?

The reason is likely because in the mid 1960's, the U. S. had the three point neck nape which served a similar purpose. Most troops were issued this item but very few installed them into their helmet liners.