Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Is this an Israeli six day war paratrooper helmet?

Article about: Hello, I just received this helmet and my gut impression is that it might be a British produced Israeli used paratrooper helmet from the period of the six day war. Am I close or just totally

Great Pics...thanks for sharing. For the most part in the six day war, did Israeli Infantry and Paratroopers use the same type of helmets? I see the above men are Infantry and not paratroopers.

Wade

This might be a RAC helmet that was modified by the Israeli's. The top alu rivet points to that. Normal British para helmets had a pad glued in the top, since a hole for the screw was not drilled.

Nice helmet all the same. One with history!

Cheers,

Emile

Quote by wdphll View Post
    Great Pics...thanks for sharing. For the most part in the six day war, did Israeli Infantry and Paratroopers use the same type of helmets? I see the above men are Infantry and not paratroopers.

Wade
    they also wore a lot of M1 type helmets, some with the 3 point Israeli chin strap and some with regular US type chin straps, it looks like the ground troops mostly wore the M1 helmet.

Is this an Israeli six day war paratrooper helmet?Is this an Israeli six day war paratrooper helmet?

?

Quote by wdphll View Post
    In '67 Israel were still using a mixture of helmets, the British HSAT MkII, US M1 and it's Israeli modified or produced version and the French M51 are the most common to see in combat troops. The picture below (you rightly point out are infantry not paratroopers), you can see all three of them in use in the same unit.

The British MkII was also still in use.

It's difficult to tell from black and white photos the units becuase there is little or no unit identification, but the battle for Jerusalem was the fought by a reserve paratroop brigade that was orginally intended to drop in to the Sinai but following the rapid success in the south and Hussein of Jordan's monumental error of judgement, they were redirected to Jerusalem. From these photos you can see that all of them are using HSAT MkIIs which leads me to believe that this helmet was standard issue for paratroops and other units would use any helmet available.

The thread battlegear started on Israeli helmets is good reading.
    IDF ISRAELI helmets arab israeli wars, 1967 - 1982
    Last edited by Tinhat; 11-01-2014 at 04:41 PM.

?

Quote by emileverbunt View Post
    This might be a RAC helmet that was modified by the Israeli's. The top alu rivet points to that. Normal British para helmets had a pad glued in the top, since a hole for the screw was not drilled.
    Emile, I'm going to repsectfuly disagree with you. The cruciform or oval pad from MkII is a very common modification for Israeli HSAT helmets, I have owned two 1944 dated that have had this fitted, a modified RAC would still have holes where the original chin strap lugs were fitted.

Here a some pictures an Israeli para helmet that has no camo cover, it has the cruciform pad added but you can see the shell does not have any holes that would have been for the RAC strap .

Here is another one, this has glued sponge pad but you can see the chalk line that was originally around the in oval pad of the British issued helmets you mention.

I also have a converted M1 that has the MkII oval pad added.

Steve.
    Last edited by Tinhat; 11-01-2014 at 04:44 PM.

Hi Tin hat,

I stand corrected! Nice pictures that show clearly what you mean.

Thanks,
    Emile

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2