Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Italian M33 helmet-1947-90

Article about: Goodmorning everyone, with this post I wanted to share with you some Italian M33 helmets of the post war period, used between 1947 and the early 90s. Identified unambiguously the manufacture

I too shall be interested to see Roberto's opinion. My own - and I am no expert on these helmets - is that you have an excellent example of an early M33 in original paint, with what appears to be a version of the MVSN (Milizia Volontaria per la Sicurezza Nazionale) badge on the front. But it is not exactly the same as the badge I know, so there is still detective work to be done (I've tried and failed...). Good helmet.

Thanks Greg I've owned this one for over 10 years and still none the wiser. The M33 I've tried to research and still have no clue to what era this one is from. Hopefully Roberto will solve this one

Hello Ian,
    not really an expert but I know them well enough for obvious reasons of nationality.
    What I see is a M33 in sage-colored similar to the one in use from 1934 to 1940 and the flash should be mod. 1938 of MVSN (National Security Volunteer Militia).
    Having said that the world of helmets 33 is worse than that of the US M1, in the sense that remained in use for 50 years during which these helmets were repeatedly reviewed using sometimes a mix of components from different eras, and also it does not exist a truly comprehensive literature, particularly in identifying the lot numbers and then you go to the very experienced.
    Also some Units continued to use up to 70s, helmets M33 configured in a manner very similar to those of WW2, such as this police example:
    Italian M33 helmet-1947-90Italian M33 helmet-1947-90Italian M33 helmet-1947-90
    However, the shell of your helmet seems WW2 period with original color, the batch number may be of an early production, the best known rivets are in 2, 3 or 8 tabs, in this case has four, but it could still be a further variant.
    The chin strap is definitely not correct, it should be like this:
    Italian M33 helmet-1947-90
    The liner seems in particularly good conditions, it has the back seam to "Z" that was utilized since the last years of WW2, it could be post war, in fact they are all similar, changes the leather color depending of lots that goes: from beige to brown; but it might be useful to check:
    -the felt color under the liner skin: orange (WW2), light yellow (postwar).
    -if there is the mark with the "crown" of WW2 period on aluminum tabs that supports the chinstrap.
    As for the flash is hard to say, it should analyze it closely to see if it was added later, please be aware that in Italy from 1943 to 1945 unleashed a civil war between militias loyal to the Fascist Regime and those Partisan, and at the end of the war there it was a fierce showdown, so all those who were in possession of uniforms and accessories the fascists destroyed to avoid being identified, so it's always been very rare to find such material; up to about ten years ago to find a helmet with a MVSN flash was a very rare event, today we see around a lot, so it takes a lot of prudence.

Obviously this is just my opinion and I hope I was helpful and I having explained well with my little knowledge of English!

Regards
    Roberto

It intrigues me the chinstrap, the leather type and the rivets seem correct, but the part with the buckle seems added; could be a field repair or a variant that I do not know, I try to investigate !!

The chinstrap with the sliding buckle I've never seen on any M33 before. I've taken some more pictures for you of the chinstrap and the inside of the helmet. Couldn't find any markings any where else.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Italian M33 helmet-1947-90   Italian M33 helmet-1947-90  

Italian M33 helmet-1947-90   Italian M33 helmet-1947-90  

Italian M33 helmet-1947-90   Italian M33 helmet-1947-90  

Thanks Ian,
    for the latest pictures you've added I think I can sum up my idea:
    -Helmet Previous production to 1940
    -Refurbished in the post-war period Republic, using: the steel structure of the WW2 period liner but without putting the brand with Crown Royal Arsenal; the leather is post-war.
    -Chinstrap WW2 period, the buckle side is broken and the remaining piece was folded on itself and stitched to fix that strange buckle.
    I leave to you the checks on the flash, trying to figure out if I look old, also happened at times that under the post-war re-painting was found some rare flash of the fascist period, in that case it had to delicately removing the helmet's paint, but this procedure should leave traces that you should see with the naked eye.

Regards
    Roberto

Can not be sure if the flash is authentic but looking closer at the paint there seems to have been a slightly darker green (olive green) layer at one time. There are flecks all over the helmet that I've never noticed before so I think you are right it has been stripped back. I bought it from a militaria fair and it was sold to me as WW2. I trusted the dealer as I have known him for a long time but his speciality is swords not helmets. Thanks Roberto at least I know a lot more about this helmet than I did before

Very well!
    however, I would say an interesting helmet, even considering the fact that finding a good helmet 33 of the WW2 period, even without flash, it has become something really difficult and also expensive,.....even in Italy !!

Good evening
    Roberto

Roberto ,what a fantastic collection and here to share is my only Model 33 example with T35 gasmask made by Pirelli Italian M33 helmet-1947-90

Is the Franco badge original to the helmet? Looks very cool

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast