Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Italian Parachutist M42/60...and other.

Article about: Morning everyone, I wanted to show you this last little addition to my collection, this is an Italian parachutist helmet M42/60, quite used but complete with all its original accessories, ev

Default Italian Parachutist M42/60...and other.

Morning everyone,
    I wanted to show you this last little addition to my collection, this is an Italian parachutist helmet M42/60, quite used but complete with all its original accessories, even the paint is the original khaki-green, and this is something not much common.
    In fact, these helmets had a long operational life during which they were often revised and repainted.
    I also added the net and the cover, it could be used with a combination of these accessories.
    I have many examples of this model, but when I find an interesting one I gladly add it to the collection, this because in the Italian military tradition this iconic helmet is very popular.
    This derives from the fact that it is directly linked to the best units of the Italian Army and to important historical facts, first of all: the epic resistance of the Folgore Parachute Division during the second battle of El Alamein; an event very remembered in my Country.
    It is becoming uncommon, because it is no longer in use since early 90s, moreover it has been produced in a limited number of examples.
    Another thing that seemed interesting to me to share, is the jump uniform for which this helmet was an essential component, even today it is quite rare to find in good condition, they lived together from 1960 to 1990.
    This is a mint example in my collection, the helmet you see together with the uniform is a M42/60 with the dark green color adopted after 1975.
    This uniform, specially designed for the airborne troops is very accurate, with padding in critical points and straps to make it adherent to the body, so it has remained in use for thirty years; deliberately some details have been left that recall the Folgore uniforms of WW2 period, for example: the type of camouflage and the closure of jacket pockets, of the type called "bat wings”.
    They are all testimonies of a time when the Elite Military Units were equipped with a dedicated equipment, which represented a proud sign of distinction.
    A note for collectors: this rare uniform was supplied only by the Paratroopers of the "Folgore" Brigade and the 1st Carabinieri Paratrooper "Tuscania" Regiment, and should not be confused with the very common "over dress M58" camouflage garment supplied to all the other Army Units until 1975; It has the same color but is completely different.

Regards
    Roberto

Italian Parachutist M42/60...and other.Italian Parachutist M42/60...and other.Italian Parachutist M42/60...and other.Italian Parachutist M42/60...and other.Italian Parachutist M42/60...and other.Italian Parachutist M42/60...and other.Italian Parachutist M42/60...and other.

Italian Parachutist M42/60...and other.Italian Parachutist M42/60...and other.

Last edited by OldSteel; 02-24-2018 at 08:03 PM. Reason: add info

MAP
    ?

A beautiful helmet Roberto!! Congrats!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Nice helmet. I have a net like yours. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

?

A super nice example Roberto and yes they are getting hard to come by in original unaltered condition.
    Nice to see your second pattern cover is still complete with the ever missing neck veil a image of mine with the cover in place ...

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Italian Parachutist M42/60...and other.  

Thanks Mark,
    very nice also your example, complete with the rare cover; in fact these covers were usable only on the M42/60 and not on the infantry M33.
    The covers were not distributed individually but were part of jump uniform and, as you correctly say: it is very difficult to find the neck veil, because this was not much appreciated by paratroopers and was often removed, there was only the cover to which the net was superimposed, often held in place by a rubber strip.
    Also congratulation for your nice post on the subject, which I really appreciated:
    Post War Italian M 42/60 Paratrooper helmet
    Very interesting also the last example you showed in this post, the one with the "ersatz" rivets in aluminum, it is one of the last reconditioned example used at the end of the 80s-early 90s, I also add that size 58 has become hard to find.

Regards
    Roberto

?

Mark K, Nice. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

?

Thanx Rich...