Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Jackpot! 2 in 1 camo cover - indonesian m1 marine helmet

Article about: Lately i purchased this surprising m1 helmet in my hometown antique market, the triwindu antique market: Number (possibly the soldier id number) on each side of the camo: Reverse side Sewing

Red face Jackpot! 2 in 1 camo cover - indonesian m1 marine helmet

Lately i purchased this surprising m1 helmet in my hometown antique market, the triwindu antique market:

Number (possibly the soldier id number) on each side of the camo:

Reverse side

Sewing pattern

Camo label

At first i thought i buy an 1980's tni helmet. In particularly the DPM camouflage adopted in 1984.
    (from Indonesia - Camopedia )

But after i check it, there's another camo cover inside the DPM!

Reverse side & Rear seam m1

Camo cover fastener

Sewing pattern

Remain of glued paper on front of the helmet

(Number "0" ? )
    Maybe for training / ceremonial purpose?

Rust everywhere! And already affecting the inner cover color

And for the truth is, i never meet a rusted in and out helmet like this.

After i check on the camopedia again, i believe the inner cover is the 1960's indonesian camo. "locally-made copies of the original (American) M1942 camouflage"

I recheck on the helmet again. On the inner crown shell there's a stenciled emblem. An anchor and number "2".

After i check the history of the using of the camo and from judging the photos of the TRIKORA operation in 1961-62. Beside used by the PGT (Pasukan Gerak Tjepat - paratrooper) and RPKAD (indonesian army special forces), this camo also used by the KKO (Korps Komando - marine). So based form the stenciled emblem, i conclude this helmet was once belong to a marine. The emblem is similar with the 2nd marine infantry battalion

Some of the photo of camo using during the TRIKORA operation

The liner

Green paint. Original liner color?

Unmarked maker

Liner strap ... not in good condition. But still some interesting feature remain in this hardhat

Field repair?

Nape buttons

Button maker mark: YMSP?

Liner chinstrap. Broad and have a special buckle and strap

The liner chinstrap is similar with the spanish marine euro clone m1 helmet model 65 ESPAOL 65

All in all, for approximately US $10. I have a very interesting helmet.

So what do you think about this helmet?
    Last edited by feldgrau33; 02-19-2013 at 02:35 PM.

Default Re: Jackpot! 2 in 1 camo cover - indonesian m1 marine helmet

Your enthusiasm for photography is enviable!

Nice helmet.

cool that was like watching a mini-series thanks for the effort you have put in.........Jake.

yea good find. but with the information you have found out on this, makes this helmet. nice helmet and covers too. but finding out that there was two covers, cant beat that for a bonus.

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    Your enthusiasm for photography is enviable!

Nice helmet.
    Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    cool that was like watching a mini-series thanks for the effort you have put in.........Jake.
    Thank you.
    I guess i'm overdoing in this photography, because i was too excited when i got the helmet...

Anyway for the m1 euro-clone expert out there, i hope someone can answer this.
    I see the liner is dark blue color in room lighting. But i still wondering why the liner is becoming dark green in the photo, maybe because i took it outside? Anyway the dark blue color is similar with the belgian gendarme liner from m51 helmet.

So is there any possibility that this liner was based from that belgian liner? For the truth is i never knew from where the indonesian got the liner and m1 helmet beside from the american. Could it be the liner is local made?

Quote by geelong View Post
    yea good find. but with the information you have found out on this, makes this helmet. nice helmet and covers too. but finding out that there was two covers, cant beat that for a bonus.
    Yes, that's why i called a jackpot. I guess this is my 3rd greatest find after that stahlhelms and named mark II helmet.

?

I absolutely love it, there are so many unusual features on the lid, the chinstrap arrangement for one!

And all for 10 bucks, I would be very proud to own this piece,congrats on picking it up and showing it here in fine detail.

As for the liner, I have no ideas at all, but my guess would be a locally manufactured item, and maybe it's blue in line with the Marine connection??

Either way a very ,very nice lid.

Opex.

the second cover looks very much a copy the usmc cover ,its definately in the duck hunter style of cammo ,nice find
    Regards James

Quote by Opex View Post
    I absolutely love it, there are so many unusual features on the lid, the chinstrap arrangement for one!

And all for 10 bucks, I would be very proud to own this piece,congrats on picking it up and showing it here in fine detail.

As for the liner, I have no ideas at all, but my guess would be a locally manufactured item, and maybe it's blue in line with the Marine connection??

Either way a very ,very nice lid.

Opex.
    Thank you Opex. Do you ever see that kind of chinstrap buckle before?
    Yes this helmet is indeed becoming my second favorite helmet after that katakana javanese named and numbered stahlhelm.
    I guess the seller is indeed will mad if he knew the history behind this helmet if he checked it meticulously. The price should be more than $10.

Maybe it's indeed local made, no marking whatsoever. Only a blank circle.

Sorry if off topic but about euroclone m1, do you know "RUCO" company? I bought this mysterious helmet and until know i couldn't solve the history behind this helmet . I hope someone can help me.

Quote by col james View Post
    the second cover looks very much a copy the usmc cover ,its definately in the duck hunter style of cammo ,nice find
    Thank you.
    Do you know how to preserved a camo cover like these?

?

Hi feldgrau33, I have never seen this type of chinstrap buckle, or the leather chinstrap attachments before?

I searched on -line , and the liner is very similar to Taiwanese produced liners, unfortunately I could not see to much detail of the chinstrap details on the example I saw,but maybe this makes sense ...did Indonesia and Taiwan goverments trade militaria????

The RUCO stamp is a mystery too?????????

If the marine changed his liner when he receive the new camo in the 1980's, i guess there's some possibility. During 1960's that's almost impossible because at that time, the soekarno government have warm relationship with mainland china government and trying to make a political bloc with them. In fact during the 1962 asian game in jakarta, athletes from taiwan were banned to came to indonesia along with israel's athlete. So about the liner age, do you think this is the original liner from the 1960's or the one from 1980's?

About RUCO stamp, i found this thread M1 Helmet ??? . But still no answer, i wonder who made this m1 helmet?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast