Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Helmet

Article about: I recently purchased this steel helmet from Japan, it came with a banner - possibly for wall-mounting - and one leg puttee. The banner can be seen in the pictures. All items have always been

Default Japanese Helmet

I recently purchased this steel helmet from Japan, it came with a banner - possibly for wall-mounting - and one leg puttee. The banner can be seen in the pictures. All items have always been together, and I was told that the owner of the items served in the Kempeitai. Judging by the paintwork, the badge on the front has been on for many years. Can any of you experts out there identify the badge and tell me what it is?

Cheers,
    Harry.

Japanese Helmet

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attac...1&d=1261047666[IMG]

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=70233&stc=1&d=1261047666[/IMG]
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Helmet   Japanese Helmet  

Default Re: Japanese Helmet

This is Japanese civilian defence helmet in WWII. The badge was used in Kyushu.

Quote by kevinchang View Post
    This is Japanese civilian defence helmet in WWII. The badge was used in Kyushu.
    Hi Kevin,
    Thanks for the information. I have seen a helmet exactly the same style as this one on the website of NUKE.COMBAT-HELMETS. They have it listed as being a Model 18 combat helmet - as used in the Manchurian campaign and early WW11. the only difference appears to be the star on the front. I have looked at other civil defence helmets, and they all seem to have different rivet patterns to this example. I am a complete novice to anything Japanese, so any help is warmly appreciated.

Harry.

Caseydiggz
    ?

It's a Japanese M18 that would have been used as a civil defense helmet in the second world war. The only difference between yours and the traditional m18 would be the 2 rivets underneath the round one, forming a triangle. Most of these just have the one. But I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Many thanks for the help. I have recently just purchased another civil defence helmet, and this one was sent to me from just outside Hiroshima. I wasn't aware of the sellers address until after I made the purchase.

And this one? Is this a M18 or a M30 helmet?
    Is this of a officer?

Japanese HelmetJapanese HelmetJapanese Helmet

Nice helmets you have there guys..................!

Cant post photos, but I just picked up a semi-relic and believe it's a civil helmet
    as well. It has no insignia, liner or straps, but still has it's rings. I'm guessing
    that all helmets with 'D' rings are for civilian use ?

The few WWII Japanese Army helmets I've seen usually have 3 round rings
    for liner suspension, each mounted in a small arched bracket
    attached by two rivets.

Does anyone know of a good website with photos to study the differences,
    as well as a reference to Japanese helmet badges in general ?
    Regards,

Steve.