Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese helmet color

Article about: Hello Everybody. I have a couple of original WWII Japanese helmets that I am trying to restore,for myself.They are NOT for sale,they will be in my meager collection.I've had to do a little r

XRAILROAD
    ?

Default Japanese helmet color

Hello Everybody. I have a couple of original WWII Japanese helmets that I am trying to restore,for myself.They are NOT for sale,they will be in my meager collection.I've had to do a little rework on them.As you know,these types of helmets were given to our allies after the war.They were reworked to put new liners in them.I would like to have an exact color that the vast majority of these helmets were.Joel Choy,told me that they were a brown.I really can't see that.I need an EXACT color.
    Not just brown,yellow or green.I want to try to age it,as best I can.I'm just a beginner at this.Any help would be appreciated.
    As I stated,this is for me,not resale,trade or anything of the sort.I collect things that make me happy,not somebody else.If not for anything else,hopefully,my soon to be 5 yr. old grandson will like them when he gets older.
    If you can help,post here,or email me at cwbuff2000@yahoo.com
    Thank-you Terry

Default Re: Japanese helmet color

The color you need is similar to a dark brown mustard color...

See my Type 90 helmet:
    Japanese helmet color

XRAILROAD
    ?

Thank-you.Dark Brown Mustard,it is.I'll give it a whirl. Terry

Wait for other members to respond, Terry... let's see what they have to say too!

Could you please post some photos of them?

I'm thinking more of a milk chocolate brown with just the hint of a darker green tint mixed in before application....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Combining my wife's hobby of finding me things to do at the weekend, I was in Ace and picked up some color cards. My M90 is pretty close to card 24E, color 8493, but with 70 years of handling I would put the original base color at card 28D, color 8509, or somewhere between the two.

If you check our The Collector's Guild, they have a number of helmets listed for comparison.
    Steve.

Quote by Tinhat View Post
    Combining my wife's hobby of finding me things to do at the weekend, I was in Ace and picked up some color cards. My M90 is pretty close to card 24E, color 8493, but with 70 years of handling I would put the original base color at card 28D, color 8509, or somewhere between the two.

If you check our The Collector's Guild, they have a number of helmets listed for comparison.
    Steve.
    Can you post some pictures of the color cards?

Please post some photos of them. It may be that they are better left
    'unrestored' - even if they are in 'semi-relic' condition - unless they
    were butchered to begin with. Naturally, they are yours to do
    with as you please, but you may be about to do irreversible
    damage to historic items.

Might be an idea to buy $70 repros instead.........?
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Can you post some pictures of the color cards?
    Finally got around to adding the picture of the cards, taken in natural light.
    Japanese helmet color

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast