Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

latest british mk5 pickup

Article about: hi guys just to share my 1977 dated turtle the lid has been covered with hesian then netting then scrimmed up and must of took some time well i think there's a turtle under there enjoy james

Default latest british mk5 pickup

hi guys just to share my 1977 dated turtle the lid has been covered with hesian then netting then scrimmed up and must of took some time well i think there's a turtle under there enjoy james latest british mk5 pickuplatest british mk5 pickuplatest british mk5 pickuplatest british mk5 pickuplatest british mk5 pickup
    Last edited by James C; 10-04-2012 at 08:43 PM.

?

Default Re: latest british mk5 pickup

nice

?

Yes, nice

?

That brings back some memories mate!

I assume from what I can see in the pic's, it still has the stockinette part of the liner assembly.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Very cool James, dressed up nice....

BTW, our new Bulg M36 came in this week, I'll snap a few photos and post tomorrow.

Russ

cheers guys and yes jimpy it still has the liner stocking ,can i ask if this was a common army way of dressing the brit turtle during this time period and is it a likely falklands setup or was it just an individual soldiers work the hessian gives it an almost desert camo appearance so maybe a posting overseas? also from what i can see of the lid its painted black inside and out in a smooth finish which is odd because all my other late 70's turtles are od with a textured finish thanks in advance if you can help me out and russ im glad the m36 came ill have a look pal thanks again james

?

Cool MKV, dressed to the 9's

Brad.

?

Quote by col james View Post
    cheers guys and yes jimpy it still has the liner stocking ,can i ask if this was a common army way of dressing the brit turtle during this time period and is it a likely falklands setup or was it just an individual soldiers work the hessian gives it an almost desert camo appearance so maybe a posting overseas? also from what i can see of the lid its painted black inside and out in a smooth finish which is odd because all my other late 70's turtles are od with a textured finish thanks in advance if you can help me out and russ im glad the m36 came ill have a look pal thanks again james
    Hi James.

There are loads of us on the forum who were (un)fortunate enough to have to wear the Mk5 "Bin-Lid".
    Scrimming and camming of helmets was, in my unit, (infantry and engineers), at least, left down to the individual soldier, and what you need to remember is that the idea behind camming and scrimming a helmet is to reduce any shine from it, and to break up the (obvious) shape.

Base colour could be anything from a "sick brown"! to vehicle bronze green, with or without a texture added, (usually sand mixed into the paint), and occasionally done in a multi coloured pattern, usually a black, dark green and/or khaki brown "splotch" pattern over the base colour. The one common factor was that the colour was ALWAYS matte for field use.

More often than not in the field, and in my unit at least, usual practise was:
    1: Helmet in basic paint colour then,
    2: Hessian cover, usually cut from an old sand-bag, the colour of which could again vary from a light khaki tan to a dark green colour then,
    3: Helmet net with added scrim. This was anything that was felt "appropriate" by the individual soldier, but usually consisted of scraps of hessian (old sandbags!), DPM material strips cut/ripped from old combat uniforms and sometimes sections ripped from the nylon panels on vehicle cam' nets.
    4: Black elastic was also sometimes threaded through the net to assist in the fixing of local area foliage to assist in camouflage.

Occasionally, some soldiers would make up their own DPM cover, either from a section of material taken from and old, scrap combat uniform or from commercially available DPM material.

As regards your other question about the 70s/80s and Falklands War time frame, short answer is, yes, it is appropriate.

Hope that this is of some help

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

ian many thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions it is truly appreciated , thats the one thing i love about this forum ,people are genuinely interested in sharing there knowledge and experience its something no internet search could ever provide ,heres my other turtle and as you say utilising a 68 pat dpm jacket hood thanks again james latest british mk5 pickuplatest british mk5 pickuplatest british mk5 pickup

You also need another, when the authorities decided effective NBC decontamination couldn,t be achieved with all the added 'material' foliage, so back to basics..until Mk 6 came along..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast