Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

M 51 otan

Article about: Hi all just received my newest Helmet... its my first French M51 OTAN.... bought off the dreaded Flea bay!!! now from the pics in the listing... it looked.. well ...just. ok .. (not the best

Default M 51 otan

Hi all

just received my newest Helmet... its my first French M51 OTAN.... bought off the dreaded Flea bay!!!
    now from the pics in the listing... it looked.. well ...just. ok .. (not the best quality pics mind) but as the price was as they say "RIGHT" I pulled the trigger anyway!!
    much to my surprise when I unwrapped it today!! ..... it is in near mint unissued condition!!!
    so I'm pretty made up to be honest!!
    The shell is made by Carpentier Cusset dated 1954
    The liner maker F.D. and "C" for Celoron also 1954 dated
    here's some pics
    hope you like it as much as I do!!
    oh and hope you don't mind but "Headley" wanted in on the action too!!!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M 51 otan   M 51 otan  

M 51 otan   M 51 otan  

M 51 otan   M 51 otan  

M 51 otan   M 51 otan  

M 51 otan   M 51 otan  

M 51 otan  

That's nice - sure is a clean one.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Aha, one of my favourite helmet genres from the 50's ,very nice to see an OTAN in your collection!

the French M51 is also one of my favourite helmets, it's been used in many wars since it's adoption, Indochine, Algeria, Morocco, Arab - Israeli wars, Lebanese civil war , Beirut, Cambodia

the Cambodian soldier looks like he has a M51 liner?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M 51 otan  

?

Quote by battle gear View Post
    the French M51 is also one of my favourite helmets, it's been used in many wars since it's adoption, Indochine, Algeria, Morocco, Arab - Israeli wars, Lebanese civil war , Beirut, Cambodia

the Cambodian soldier looks like he has a M51 liner?
    Good point BG, these models were indeed exported and used by many nations, and completely agree the Cambodian soldier appers to be wearing an Mle 51 liner, that's an interesting reference photo

Thanks for the comments guys!!!
    Here's a pic with a French lizard camo jacket hood I had lying around used for a helmet cover!!!

Default M51 still in use today

here's a soldier in the Central Africa Republic on patrol, he appears to be wearing a M51 type steel helmet, many of these helmets are still in service today.

Thanks BG great photo!!! I hope the grenade launcher mounted on his AK isn't loaded!!! as the way his finger is at the ready... if he gets an itch.... he is likely to loose a limb or two!!!!!

?

Quote by austromunga View Post
    Thanks for the comments guys!!!
    Here's a pic with a French lizard camo jacket hood I had lying around used for a helmet cover!!!
    Very nice effect, though the original TAP hoods used as covers did not feature the circular vents like your hood appears to have, I have one like yours..Possibly French made for the African market!

I don't collect any Euro-produced Helmets and yet i'm always surprised how great condition some can be found in,try finding US gear like this is literally unheard of,also there value seems to stay at a relatively low cost,surprised these little gems haven't crept up over the last few years.still some cracking examples to be had,with many differant makers of both shell+liner,top find from the bay,well done to you.........

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast