Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

M1 clone?

Article about: Is this helmet a M1 clone? Liner looks postwar to me. Like to hear your opinion about it.

Default M1 clone?

Is this helmet a M1 clone? Liner looks postwar to me. Like to hear your opinion about it.

M1 clone?M1 clone?

yes, it looks like a Belgium or Dutch M1 clone to me?

Not Dutch. Possibly Danish or Norwegian.

Cheers,
    Emile

I started off thinking it was might be Danish or Norwegian, but both those have a fabric rather than leather liner strap. Also neither usually have the nape strap fitted with poppers, it is usually the belt/friction buckle type adjustment. But the net does seem to be Norwegian. A bit more info might help - is the liner really green (looks kind of green in the photo), is there a front grommet in the liner, is there anything actually marked in the shell? Of course on top of that it could be mismatched parts. However, to answer the original question, it is certainly post-WW2.

And how about this one?
    M1 clone?M1 clone?M1 clone?M1 clone?M1 clone?

This helmet seems to be an early M2 helmet. Purposely made for US Airborne use. The large D bales (these attach the cotton chinstraps to the steel shell) point to that direction. The liner is an early one, with the early not removable leather chinstrap. That is a good sign. The red puppet depicts the insignia of the 509th PIB (Para Infantry Batallion).

The M2 was followed by the M1-C.

The pictures are not detailed enough to confirm this. These helmets were falsified after WW2, since they highly desirable.

Have a look at this site: https://alexanderandsonsrestorations...rooper-helmet/

You may have a gem!

Cheers,
    Emile

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    I started off thinking it was might be Danish or Norwegian, but both those have a fabric rather than leather liner strap. Also neither usually have the nape strap fitted with poppers, it is usually the belt/friction buckle type adjustment. But the net does seem to be Norwegian. A bit more info might help - is the liner really green (looks kind of green in the photo), is there a front grommet in the liner, is there anything actually marked in the shell? Of course on top of that it could be mismatched parts. However, to answer the original question, it is certainly post-WW2.
    Not quite!
    The Danish navy DKI-liners were born with leather straps! But Danish navy liners are blue, not green.
    The liner looks like a DKI-liner, and they were supplied to both the Danish and Norwegian armies - possibly the Dutch as well, although I am fairly certain they were capable of, and actually did make, their own. Norway only bought green liners from DKI, and had the back-strap stamped with "sjøforsvaret" eller "hæren" as far as I recall.

However, the damage to the liner is unlike any damage I have seen before (the way the plastic deteriorates at the edge).

Quote by emileverbunt View Post
    This helmet seems to be an early M2 helmet. Purposely made for US Airborne use. The large D bales (these attach the cotton chinstraps to the steel shell) point to that direction. The liner is an early one, with the early not removable leather chinstrap. That is a good sign. The red puppet depicts the insignia of the 509th PIB (Para Infantry Batallion).

The M2 was followed by the M1-C.

The pictures are not detailed enough to confirm this. These helmets were falsified after WW2, since they highly desirable.

Have a look at this site: https://alexanderandsonsrestorations...rooper-helmet/

You may have a gem!

Cheers,
    Emile
    Interesting, thanks for the info! I can't take better pics because the helmet is for sale on the net, they are not my pictures. Unfortunately it's way too expensive for me as a student .
    (The helmet is for sale on a Belgian site. https://www.2dehands.be/verzamelen/o...377944955.html.)

I just made a deal for this one. It was affordable by making a trade. The helmet has the batchnumber 906, is a front seam and has a firestone liner (or what is left of it). The NCO bar seems huge though...
    M1 clone?
    M1 clone?
    M1 clone?

Got the helmet today, made some additional pics myself.

I don't know why there's an another white stripe at the inside of the helmet? (also in the rear, just on the other side of the NCO bar)

M1 clone?M1 clone?
    M1 clone?M1 clone?
    M1 clone?M1 clone?
    M1 clone?M1 clone?
    M1 clone?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast