Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M2 Steel helmet, 28th (Keystone) Division

Article about: Hi all, I am relatively new to posting to these forums, but I have to say that the wealth of knowledge displayed by members is truly extraordinary. I picked this helmet up after seeing it ad

Default M2 Steel helmet, 28th (Keystone) Division

Hi all,

I am relatively new to posting to these forums, but I have to say that the wealth of knowledge displayed by members is truly extraordinary.

I picked this helmet up after seeing it advertised locally on Gumtree. I wasn't sure about it from the advert, but at the very least it was a complete US helmet at a reasonable price (£30) for the UK so I went for it.

According to the seller it belonged to his father, a historian and is a WW2/Korean war M2 helmet. I don't know a lot about US militaria but I personally think that it dates from the Korean War at the very earliest and is probably later, possibly Vietnam era? The decal belongs to the 28th (Keystone) Infantry Division, currently named the Iron Division if I am correct. If the helmet is post-war, which is highly likely, then it would not have seen combat service, since the 28th were stationed in Europe for the Korean War and as a reserve division during Vietnam.

The condition in areas were paint has worn away is quite rusty, but overall the helmet is in very good nick.

Any thoughts and help with identification would be much appreciated! I bought it on an impulse so I won't be too sad if its a made-up repro!
    M2 Steel helmet, 28th (Keystone) DivisionM2 Steel helmet, 28th (Keystone) DivisionM2 Steel helmet, 28th (Keystone) DivisionM2 Steel helmet, 28th (Keystone) DivisionM2 Steel helmet, 28th (Keystone) Division

Yeah, this is a standard sixties to seventies era helmet. Pretty well matching eras on liner and shell. Unfortunately, the 28th "Keystone" Div decal/sticker is pure fantasy. The 28th division is (and always has been) the National Guard unit from the state of Pennsylvania. It's nickname is "the bloody bucket" division due to the shape of the divisional insignia. I don't think anybody has used the "Iron Division" nick since WW1.

Early 1970's production shell and liner,for £30 its a fair price overall..............