Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

M26 French Adrain Helmet

Article about: Gday to all, I have a French M26 Adrian helmet. It is French due to the split rivets. The shell is over all in pretty good shape. Now comes the question most people ask, if the insignia is o

Default M26 French Adrain Helmet

Gday to all,
    I have a French M26 Adrian helmet. It is French due to the split rivets. The shell is over all in pretty good shape.Now comes the question most people ask, if the insignia is original. I have no way to determine this, but it seems that the insignia has been for a long time with the helmet. The chin strap seems to be original with the helmet. The problem I'm having is the liner. It's synthetic not leather. I read some were that they came out after 1940 but have no source to confirm that. For sure is that it was with the helmet for a very long time. There is a stamping one one side of the liner which is not readable anymore and on the reverse side it carry’s the number 60 which I assume is the size of the liner. I got it for a good price. The comb seams to be out of aluminum as well as the rivets that holds the (spring?) that holds the liner clips into place. Comments are very appreciated.

M26 French Adrain HelmetM26 French Adrain HelmetM26 French Adrain HelmetM26 French Adrain HelmetM26 French Adrain HelmetM26 French Adrain HelmetM26 French Adrain HelmetM26 French Adrain HelmetM26 French Adrain HelmetM26 French Adrain HelmetM26 French Adrain HelmetM26 French Adrain HelmetM26 French Adrain Helmet

Liner looks ok to me. .: World War Helmets - Casque Adrian modèle 26 :. Have a look at this site it's in French but just do a translation on google

Thank you Redstalker for the site you gave me. It was very interesting I picked up alot.

it seams I have the Infantry or Cavalry, variant 5 insignia

After 1937 a removable rivet, in two pieces screwing one into the other. The male part has a domed and notched head, while the female part has a flat, hexagonal base which I have.

There is only one white stamp that comes close to mine with an outer and inner ring and the date inside the inner. As to what is left readable one mine would be from Gouet Levallois-Perret 1937 or 1938. That would fit with the date they introduced the removable rivet, in two pieces. If I read right the white stamping was pre war.

So Do I get this right that I have a complete WWII M26 French Adrian Helmet from Japy fabrication, as the configuration fits my model.

M26 French Adrain HelmetM26 French Adrain HelmetM26 French Adrain HelmetM26 French Adrain Helmet

I tend to collect the WW1 models mainly but do have a couple of M26s. You look to have got it right from what you have learned. Always glad to help a fellow collector that's what this forum is all about, to help and learn

Thank you Redstalker. I agree, that is what this site is for. I hope I can return the favour at some point.

Thank you again for your effort and support, I wish you a nice day.

Skip