Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Medieval helmet (?) in indonesia

Article about: by feldgrau33 No offense taken. Well i want to know, is this helmet was once belong to the dutchman during colonial era or not? Because i never see a medieval helmet in here. I don't think t

Default Re: Medieval helmet (?) in indonesia

Quote by feldgrau33 View Post
    No offense taken.
    Well i want to know, is this helmet was once belong to the dutchman during colonial era or not? Because i never see a medieval helmet in here.
    I don't think the Dutch were wearing these during their period in Indonesia, if that's what you mean.

Tom

Quote by StuG III View Post
    It also looks like it was a "homemade" item. Maybe a re-enactor's helmet?
    It's not badly made, but not like the newer production line pieces.

Tom
    Hmm very interesting. As far as i know there's no re-enactor of medieval theme in here. Only vietnam war and the wehrmacht also about independence era theme. And those reenactor only exist in the big city like jakarta not in my hometown.
    Oh the seller said he got this helmet from his friend's late grandfather whom lived in the .. well you can say during the dutch era is somekind of china town.

I don't think it is very old, India especially produces these pieces currently.

Quote by StuG III View Post
    I don't think the Dutch were wearing these during their period in Indonesia, if that's what you mean.

Tom
    Well what i mean is, is there any dutchman ever bought this replica and use it as a house decoration?
    I once saw a german empire eagle shape letter opener in here. Maybe those thing was bought by the german landlord.

Hmm interesting, do you have any link of the pictures or link of that information?

Although it is well executed, it is actually quite crudely made, and I wouldn't
    be surprised to learn that it was made in the 1950's or 60's.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Although it is well executed, it is actually quite crudely made, and I wouldn't
    be surprised to learn that it was made in the 1950's or 60's.........
    Ah thank you!

Now that I have a chance to ask, were medieval helmets like this worn in such a way that the helmet rested on the shoulderplates of the soldier so their head would be surrounded by the helmet, but not touching the insides of it? Or did they have any padding inside so that it could be worn like many modern helmets today, to allow the person to rotate their head?

Quote by Poromies View Post
    Now that I have a chance to ask, were medieval helmets like this worn in such a way that the helmet rested on the shoulderplates of the soldier so their head would be surrounded by the helmet, but not touching the insides of it? Or did they have any padding inside so that it could be worn like many modern helmets today, to allow the person to rotate their head?
    I am no expert at all in this field but I would expect padding / liner of some sort. A helmet simply resting on the shoulders of the torso would be pretty useless in a fight. Also as you say, the man would not be able to turn his head.

They would wear a padded coif underneath it.

Fairly modern replica, maybe Indian made or homemade IMO
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast