Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Medieval helmet (?) in indonesia

Article about: by feldgrau33 No offense taken. Well i want to know, is this helmet was once belong to the dutchman during colonial era or not? Because i never see a medieval helmet in here. I don't think t

Default Re: Medieval helmet (?) in indonesia

Thank you KradSpam and Bond, the question has been burning my mind ever since I first thought of it

?

It is a replica of a 15th century French or english helmet.
    It was common to wear felt padding under the helmet in the crown area also a body fitting thick felt jacket and pants. The undergarments provided protection from lance, sword and mace strikes.
    From the lack of rust in a wet tropic climate I imagine it is from the mid 20th century.

?

Was thinking roughly the same dates,definately looks like sanding marks rather than grinding marks as the frets are very shallow and close together,same as walkwolf not sure exact date that sanding discs came too be but 50-60's sounds good and surely can't be a bought item,the finish is too coarse,whoever made was certainly on the right path,shame bout the vent holes not being well aligned...

What really gives it away, are the holes, drilled too accurate, the plate are cut out very accurate, and the sanding marks.

The plated armor started in the 14 century ,i wrote 10-12 century in a earlyer post ,but thats wrong and i go for German, english or france.

?

Hi there,sanding marks first and the year they lean too,but the holes aren't aligned properly with the edge of the faceplate,looking at earlier armour designs they are very careful to ensure everything is very symmetrical,even though punched and beburred rather than drilled...

?

I certainly mean no detraction from the work completed though,please don't get me wrong,very well executed job but missing some slight finishing touchs,of course the actual finish being the main giveaway....certainly an extremely talented person who has built too this point...

Thank you very much for all of the informations.

Missed thise thread some how!
    But to me your helmet is a French 19 th century copy, made for decoration, parades and other purpose.
    Maker's name escapes me at the moment!
    Quiet collectible items they are!
    cheers
    |
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Violet-Le -Duc is the makers name!
    cheers
    |