Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

My Argentinian collection

Article about: Hi Guys, There seems to be a current interest in Argentinian M1's, So I thought i would show you mine, one is a veteran bring back ( the airborne one, which i bought off a mate in work, form

Smile My Argentinian collection

Hi Guys,
    There seems to be a current interest in Argentinian M1's,

So I thought i would show you mine, one is a veteran bring back ( the airborne one, which i bought off a mate in work, former R.M. medic) the other I won on auction.

The non airborne M1 has a firestone liner, which was an obvious US reject due to it's mishape around the outside edge of the rim.

The Airborne model is of local manafacturer, as it's not marked in any way, and hopefully as the picture of the liner show's it's made from a similiar but different material from US liners.

A good way to ID these shells as local manufacture, is that they have spot weld mark's around the inside rim ( see the pictures from both lids), they are rear seam and do not have heat stamp's. Also the head band's are generally a green leather, the colour of the Argentinians leather equpment, unfortunetely i do not have covers for these lid's. There are US made lid's from this war, but they are extremely rare, so if you've got one your a lucky collector!!

The one I bought at Auction was sold as a US M1, it wasn't until much later, that i was able to successfully ID this lid.

These lid's are beginning to appear more on the market now and could be fairly popular to collectors........Get 'em while you can, as most were thrown overboard ship as the squaddies weren't allowed to keep em!!

I went into my local militaria dealers in Plymouth, a few year's back trying to source some more of these lid's, only to be told if i had visited in the late 80's they were practically giving them away....Gutted...
    Makes me think someone must have smuggled a load in...

Enjoy.........personally i would like to see more of these lids shown.

Gaz
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Argentinian collection   My Argentinian collection  

My Argentinian collection   My Argentinian collection  

Default Re: My Argentinian collection

I am not a big fan of postwar headgear. But I do admit to have acquired a couple of vet helmets from the recent missions that played a big role in my country. After all that's how the guys with those big ww2 era collection got them. So I think we shouldn't wave these babies away just like that.
    Interesting link, thanks for posting!

Quote by magicdutchmen View Post
    I am not a big fan of postwar headgear. But I do admit to have acquired a couple of vet helmets from the recent missions that played a big role in my country. After all that's how the guys with those big ww2 era collection got them. So I think we shouldn't wave these babies away just like that.
    Interesting link, thanks for posting!
    Hi.

Thanks for your reply, and I agree with your comment's about not waving these lid's away. One day all post-war lids will become rarer and rarer,especially as they are not that recognised as war relics,but like you said that's how the big ww2 collections started .......Personally i am determined to collect these post -war lids, as like i said one day they will very collectable( well i hope so anyway)

Thanks for your interest

Gaz

I also got two of them, one Falkland relic, they tucked away now but as soon as I can I will place some photo's, I am still looking for a pair of trousers and argie boots of the Falklands period

Quote by philip ABRG View Post
    I also got two of them, one Falkland relic, they tucked away now but as soon as I can I will place some photo's, I am still looking for a pair of trousers and argie boots of the Falklands period
    Hi.

Thanks for your reply, I look forward to the photo's,and good luck with sourcing the Trousers and boots

Cheers Gaz

I like any combat used helmet, post war doesnt mean anything to me

if they were used in the Falklands war, they are wartime helmets in my opinion

they are still something special and worth collecting, doesnt have to be WWII to be collectable.

I collect helmets used in any war

?

Do you have a photo of the argentinian boot only i have a pair of black boots that have a black leather gaiter built in , there in the loft somewhere.

my books are stuffed away at the moment, so can't help out at the moment

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Argentinian collection