Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My Australian made M1 helmet

Article about: Hello everyone, I've been on the hunt for an Australian made M1 helmet for a long time but couldn't find one in the condition I wanted for the right price. I came across this one last week a

?

Default My Australian made M1 helmet

Hello everyone,

I've been on the hunt for an Australian made M1 helmet for a long time but couldn't find one in the condition I wanted for the right price. I came across this one last week advertised as a US M1 and snapped it up. It was missing a sweat band snap clip which I replaced. I added a net to it but I don't know whether its Australian ww2 or a modern piece. It looks similar to some ww2 ones I've seen online and it smells old - I'm hoping someone can shed some light on it. The shell and liner are both named to 2805537 LAWSON. I've researched ww2 service details, does anyone know how to research these more modern service details or at the very least roughly what year this number was issued.

There is very little info available online for these so if something I say isn't right feel free to let me know. I believe these were made post Vietnam, late 70's and 80's before the PASGT replaced it in the early 90's. The shell has a rough green paint which is darker than the US version and is painted over a red primer which almost looks like rust. It is stamped at the front with what looks like R over DH. The liner is stamped in white with a Cat No. I have seen two variations on this stamping. The back of the sweat band is marked with a faint broad arrow and a date which I cant make out. The liner webbing is again a darker green than the US version. The chin strap clip is unmarked.

During the Vietnam war some Australians used ww2 era camouflage nets on their US M1s so I assume this probably occurred after with these Australian made M1s. In the late 80's there was an Auscam DPCU cover issued but these are very rare, most diggers made custom covers with DPCU shirts and scrim.

Any comments welcome

Alex
    My Australian made M1 helmetMy Australian made M1 helmetMy Australian made M1 helmetMy Australian made M1 helmetMy Australian made M1 helmetMy Australian made M1 helmetMy Australian made M1 helmetMy Australian made M1 helmetMy Australian made M1 helmetMy Australian made M1 helmetMy Australian made M1 helmetMy Australian made M1 helmetMy Australian made M1 helmetMy Australian made M1 helmetMy Australian made M1 helmet

Correct 70's Australian M1 manufactured under licence in Australia,correct darker silca paint and also darker cradle liner webbing,just missing the ultra rare Auscam cover to boot,net im not sure of but looks typical of Australia/New Zealand style netting,great looking lid,well done to you.........

?

Thanks jake I appreciate your comments. It will be a fluke if I ever manage to find the dpcu cover.

Here it is if you havn't seen one Alex........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Australian made M1 helmet   My Australian made M1 helmet  

Have shown this previously but this is one with an improvised cam cover.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Australian made M1 helmet   My Australian made M1 helmet  

Oh, bravo! Long on my list of M1 clone helmet-must-haves, the Aussie M1!
    All other M1 clones are positively common in comparison, even the difficult to find German two piece.

?

Is that one in your collection Lithgow? It looks really good.

cammobunker, There are plenty of these to be found in Australia but the problem is condition. The Australian army seems to have reused most of them until they fell apart.

Alex W-yes it's mine-I have a few helmets, nothing high end as it's not my focus-bought at the local militaria show here in Perth-cover is a unit level improve with Auscam material from a bolt or shirt back wrapped around the shell and scrim netting covered with shredded Auscam and sandbag material attached to that-I was in the Reserve in WA in the late 70s/early 80s-we never used the helmet unless on the range using grenades or rocket launchers (which was rarely).

Alex-you won't be able to find anything on a post WW2 serviceman-all their records are sealed-my great uncle was AIF during the war and then a regular for a few years after and I can't see his service record on the WW2 Nominal Roll as a result.

?

Thanks Lithgow. I remember briefly trying to look up another modern item a couple of years ago and hitting a wall. I know it's a privacy thing but surely some minor searchable details couldn't hurt such as surname, number, years of service and regiment.