Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My first Dutch helmet M34

Article about: I have been on a helmet buying spree the last little while and saw this Dutch helmet and couldn't walk from it. I believe it is a M34 and from my understanding it would have been made 1939-1

?

Default My first Dutch helmet M34

I have been on a helmet buying spree the last little while and saw this Dutch helmet and couldn't walk from it. I believe it is a M34 and from my understanding it would have been made 1939-1940 since it doesn't have the heat stamp on it. It looks like it has had a few paint jobs (the pictures made the helmet look more brown than green, but there is the original green under the liner. You can see where the Lion was at one time but it is now gone. The previous owner really wanted to make sure his helmet didn't get taken and he wrote his name H.J. Jansen 2 times on the bomb and on the liner ring. The felt is almost shot but other than that I am very happy with it. Is there a site that would let me check out information on H.J Jansen? Thanks for looking.
    My first Dutch helmet M34My first Dutch helmet M34My first Dutch helmet M34My first Dutch helmet M34My first Dutch helmet M34My first Dutch helmet M34My first Dutch helmet M34My first Dutch helmet M34

I think it's a KNIL helmet? Used by the colonial army in the Netherlands East-Indies. Does it have any remnants of a leather neckflap?

?

I will try and take some more pictures tomorrow of the neck area.

Certainly not KNIL. The KNIL helmet had a shortened rear, without the slit in the rear. This is a reissued M34. Possibly post war military, but most likely a recent over paint.

cheers,
    Emile

?

Quote by emileverbunt View Post
    Certainly not KNIL. The KNIL helmet had a shortened rear, without the slit in the rear. This is a reissued M34. Possibly post war military, but most likely a recent over paint.

cheers,
    Emile
    Thanks for the information, I figure it was painted post war but not too recently since I know it has been in a box since the mid 1960's. It came from a family friend who brought it back when he was serving in Germany in the 1960's. He tossed it in a box when he got married and forgot he even owned it until he recently downsized and re-found (he never collected anything military related but this helmet). I have retaken pictures in direct sun instead of filtered light, it still looks browner in pictures than in person where it looks green. (I did add a WW2 string I had laying around in between these pictures)
    My first Dutch helmet M34My first Dutch helmet M34My first Dutch helmet M34My first Dutch helmet M34My first Dutch helmet M34

Due to the angle of the first set of pics it certainly looked like a KNIL helmet, but the second set shows it's a M34 indeed. The original colour is still on the inside.

The colour blue/grey on the inside, suggests Luftschutz use. Maybe repainted post war by someone or other.

Cheers,
    Emile

?

Quote by emileverbunt View Post
    The colour blue/grey on the inside, suggests Luftschutz use. Maybe repainted post war by someone or other.

Cheers,
    Emile
    Thank you for the information. I am just happy to find one that was affordable and good condition around here, now I have to track down a shielded one that won't break the bank.

Looks like a Dutch M.34 in army configuration that was repainted and used by the Luftschutz and later on reissued again. Quite possibly after that by the Dutch interior forces as judged by the darker green repaint.

Check out Nederlandse politie en legerhelmen | Dutch police and military helmets

for more info on Dutch helmets.

?

Quote by magicdutchmen View Post
    Looks like a Dutch M.34 in army configuration that was repainted and used by the Luftschutz and later on reissued again. Quite possibly after that by the Dutch interior forces as judged by the darker green repaint.

Check out Nederlandse politie en legerhelmen | Dutch police and military helmets

for more info on Dutch helmets.
    Thank you very much for the link, I have not seen this site before and I am looking forward to spending time on it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast