Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

my second SSch 68

Article about: ive been after a second stalnoy shlyem conehead for a while now and was lucky enough to pick this up locally here in north wales i wanted a second example only for the reason of wanting an i

Default my second SSch 68

I been after a second Stalnoy Shlyem cone head for a while now and was lucky enough to pick this up locally here in North Wales ,i wanted a second example only for the reason of wanting an issued example as i already own a mint condition example dated 1990 ,this one shows lots of use ,but issued to whom i do not know but my own theory judging by the repaint and lack of any soviet markings internally could very well point to middle east use ,i cant be 100% certain but the chinstrap shows signs of use typically found in extreme temperatures the only downside to my theory is the complete liner system ,this example is slightly smaller than my first and the front brim stamp gives clues to this showing the index 1 - as opposed to my larger example 2- ,as for the lack of date stamps poct stamps etc i can only speculate its a very early model ,the liner pads are more rectangular over the latter trapese shape also the chin strap buckle arrangement is different as you will see in the photos it also has a strange symbol scribbled in pencil on the side ,whether this was done by a previous owner i can only guess , any thoughts and comments welcome on this one ,cheers james my second SSch 68my second SSch 68my second SSch 68my second SSch 68my second SSch 68my second SSch 68my second SSch 68my second SSch 68my second SSch 68my second SSch 68
    Last edited by James C; 02-07-2021 at 02:35 PM.
    Regards James

hi James C, the scribbling looks kind of like a Soviet Hammer & Sickle?

Ive never seen squared liner pads like that before, they could just be from a different factory that made the pads

the paint color also looks different than the color used on most Ssh68 helmets, more of a dark forrest green similiar in color to the East German M56 Stahlhelm green paint.
    Last edited by battle gear; 05-31-2014 at 06:01 PM.

?

Very nice James, Many thanks for showing your's which further reinforces my need to add one to my collection, I like the little unique touches too.

I am annoyed with myself as there was one like your new addition on ebay last week and I forgot to bid!!

many thanks BG and opex for your thoughts ,now you mention BG i can see the hammer and sickle too ,i couldnt make head nor tale of it before ,it sure has seen over paints even internally hence the lack of ink stamps frustratingly as i would have loved to find the date of manufacture on this one ,and thanks opex reading between the lines it could very well be the same helmet you are talking about
    Regards James

Very interesting - I have not noticed any difference in the shapes of the liner pads before so I am keen to find out more. Most likely just variation from different factories, as your surmise, given that these things were not made on licence in any other country. But what's actually fascinating me is that chinstrap buckle in your 8th picture - which seems to be some kind of friction buckle. Now, so far as I was aware ALL these 68s (and the 60 before it) had the pretty much standard metal prong buckle, so this is a real surprise. No mention of it in Clawson's RUSSIAN HELMETS but it does appear here .: World War Helmets - Casque Ssh 68 :. . There is also a note in Joseba's CASCOCOLECCION indicating that this type of fastening was introduced in the 1990s. I'm not a great fan of these helmets so may not have been paying enough attention, but it does strike me that this may be comparatively uncommon. Anyone know?

?

"Thanks opex reading between the lines it could very well be the same helmet you are talking about"

Aha I see what you mean, that never crossed my mind to be honest, bargain helmet James

thanks for your most welcome thoughts on this one greg the link you provide is very good they describe the cold front stamp as size and the last two digits year of manufacture ,this one shows 69 so could be a very early one 1-10569 the only confussing part to this theory is that my 1990 ink stamped model has a serial number of 2.16612 so what year this denotes i havent a clue but i can say i have a ssch 60 and according to this guide if true dated 1964 ,interestingly the buckle arrangement is pretty much identical i can only assume the roller was lost over time so coupled with the early shell stamp it could well be a transitional model of some sort ,regards james
    Regards James

Dom
    ?

The two buckles on Ssh 68

my second SSch 68my second SSch 68

Dom
    ?

Quote by James C View Post
    they describe the cold front stamp as size and the last two digits year of manufacture ,this one shows 69 so could be a very early one 1-10569 the only confussing part to this theory is that my 1990 ink stamped model has a serial number of 2.16612
    James this information is incorrect , ZKO factory dated 88

Dom
    ?

And ZKO factory dated 78 :

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast