Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help with bulgarian and russian helmets

Article about: Hi all, Im looking to add to my steel helmet collection, I collect mostly german and im trying to get some other countries for display, I will post some pics of the ones Im looking at, they

Default Need help with bulgarian and russian helmets

Hi all, Im looking to add to my steel helmet collection, I collect mostly german and im trying to get some other countries for display, I will post some pics of the ones Im looking at, they are a bulgarian A type, also a few B types, and a soviet army mp helmet, my question is the authenticity of these helmets, im sure the bulgarian ones are real because they are plentifull and somewhat cheap, but im not sure about the russian firemans or the white russian one, is this a fantasy helmet? any help will be appreciated. thank you.
    Need help with bulgarian and russian helmetsNeed help with bulgarian and russian helmetsNeed help with bulgarian and russian helmetsNeed help with bulgarian and russian helmetsNeed help with bulgarian and russian helmetsNeed help with bulgarian and russian helmetsNeed help with bulgarian and russian helmetsNeed help with bulgarian and russian helmetsNeed help with bulgarian and russian helmetsNeed help with bulgarian and russian helmets

Default Re: Need help with bulgarian and russian helmets

I have no doubt that the fire service helmet is the real thing; there have been a fair number coming out of Eastern Europe over the last ten years and they all look like that.

The white ssh40-type is OK too, I believe the paint scheme is either Police or Traffic Control (but then I am notoriously hazy on anything placed, printed or painted on helmets). The DDR M56-type y-straps are correct; this was a form used in the 50s-onwards and notionally for motorised troops. There are two versions of it, one in which the shell has been converted from a standard ssh40, the other with purpose-built fittings for the four-point straps. Yours is the latter.

Thank you for the help, so the ssh40 isnt ww2? its post war?

Post-war, definately. The straps are virtually identical (maybe actually identical) to those used on the East German M56, introduced in 1956.

Thanks greg I will cross that one off the list since the seller claims its ww2

i think this seller if its the same one i know seems to advertise all his post war soviet lids as ww2 period i think he is latvian and usually offers a free gift of some sort but judging by the lack of liner and general poor condition i would pass on this one although having said that the exterior paintwork is quite interesting and would display quite well

haha yes thats the same guy, gotta love the free gift! lol

I picked up a Ssh40 from the same seller......and got my "Free Gift"...LOL. And also the helmet was listed as WWII but I knew it was post by the stamp (and some help from folks here on the forum) before I purchased. Was still a nice helmet for the price I believe, but certainly not WWII as advertised.

The Bulgarian M36's in the photos are all C Types. The ones with the red background are from a reputable ebay seller.

Regards,

Russ

Quote by MySonsDad View Post
    I picked up a Ssh40 from the same seller......and got my "Free Gift"...LOL. And also the helmet was listed as WWII but I knew it was post by the stamp (and some help from folks here on the forum) before I purchased. Was still a nice helmet for the price I believe, but certainly not WWII as advertised.

The Bulgarian M36's in the photos are all C Types. The ones with the red background are from a reputable ebay seller.

Regards,

Russ
    Yep Miro is a good seller I've bought all of my Bulgarian helmets from him

i purchased a supose ww2 ssh40 of this seller but as russ said he knew what he was buying just as i did as it was cold war period lid and my free gift was some ww2 german razor wire as for the seller i couldnt fault him and would certainly use him again this forum is a great tool to use for identifiying helmets as there are always helpfull folks who will help you on your way thanks james

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast