Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Helmet Book

Article about: US collector Peter Suciu has co-edited a new collection of articles on helmets and other military headdress. Here's the blurb from the UK seller, Naval and Military Press - A Gallery of Mili

Default New Helmet Book

US collector Peter Suciu has co-edited a new collection of articles on helmets and other military headdress. Here's the blurb from the UK seller, Naval and Military Press -

"A Gallery of Military Headdress includes original articles from noted authors Peter Suciu, Stuart Bates, Benny Bough and Pedro Soares Branco. Topics include the development of the French Adrian helmet, the history of Communist Bloc helmets, British Bearskin caps, the British Home Service Helmet, Scottish headdress, the origin and evolution of spiked helmets, military conical hats and much more."

140pp, 14 pages of colour photographs. £19.99 in the UK, plus postage.

Looks good, and I've just ordered a copy.

A GALLERY OF MILITARY HEADDRESS - Stuart Bates and Peter Suciu

GALLERY OF MILITARY HEADDRESS - Naval & Military Press

New Helmet Book

Peter already advertised this book when he wrote his only post to the forum on joining

Personally I like members to join because they want to take part here not just to plug a new book.

Peter Suciu Introduction
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Peter already advertised this book when he wrote his only post to the forum on joining

Personally I like members to join because they want to take part here not just to plug a new book.

Peter Suciu Introduction
    Fair enough, but on the other hand the only parts of Warrelics I scan and read are the dedicated helmet sections. I did not see that. And in any event, the main point of my posting is that the book is now availble from a UK seller, without the added burden of transatlantic postage. I guess it all depends on how excited one may be about a new helmet book which covers something other than the M35.

I have a lot of time for Peter, his website on sun helmets and his own helmet collection pages were regular sites for me to visit.

I am glad he has the new book out and it seems to be sensibly priced.....but joining just to plug it seems out of order to me.
    Regards,

Jerry

I have a lot of time for Peter, his website on sun helmets and his own helmet collection pages were regular sites for me to visit.

I am glad he has the new book out and it seems to be sensibly priced.....but joining just to plug it seems out of order to me.
    To a degree I agree with you, but at least he was providing useful information about something that may well be worthwhile. How about the people who regularly post pictures of helmets they just 'found in a barn/grandads attic/given by a mate' who ask a series of questions and then finish with "how much is it worth then"? Always new people. I've been mug enough to respond to them in the past, thinking they were like me 20 years ago, essentially ignorant and keen for information. Now I can see the signs, so no more. They're much more worthy of censure as their interest in absolutely self-centred.

Then again, like you, I do hope that people who actually *know* something might be tempted into regular contribution. Doesn't always work - I know that a number of *very* well informed collectors read the helmet threads here but have never contributed. Getting active paricipation in any forum - about *anything* - is always an exercise in frustration. I do rather hate the phrase 'been there done that' but in this case I do reach for it, in preference to a revolver.

I think a lot of people visit forums just to id something before selling it and then never return until the next time.
    I recently spoke out on another forum about a well established dealer who just posts the dates of his next auction but otherwise has not contributed in years and I know of at least one member here who only ever posted items for the same reason, what is it, what is worth and then ebays it without ever contributing and this person was doing the same on a lot of forums.

It seems a lot of people think it is ok to mostly just advertise here or get info to help their sales and not just here, without otherwise trying to contribute to the hobby.

Sorry to turn your thread into a rant Greg.
    Regards,

Jerry

A .....errrr..........friend of mine with 2,140 posts here is hoping to get a book out this year....300+ pages, ALL colour, over 1,000 helmets........he doesn’t sell stuff here and he actively contributes..... :-)

.....I wish everyone who makes the effort to bring out books in today’s digital world luck with their endeavours......

...now 2,141 posts......

Sorry to turn your thread into a rant Greg.
    No problem - your points are perfectly valid and I agree with them! All I can say is that for the sake of public service, for want of a better description, I occasionally post about books or websites that should be useful to collectors. Maybe if I had known Peter Suciu had already done so I would not have in this case. But then his posting was hardly visible unless you enter through the front door, and I can't believe I am the only person whose bookmarks open on the various helmet-specific pages, not on the 'new postings' or whatever it may be.

Why, I may even one day soon advise people about a book full of nothing more than endless endless British MkII distinguished only by a lick of paint and a bit of lettering. Why anyone might want such a thing may be questionable, but you know, it's about helmets (and not TR ones!) so worth a punt, yeah?

I do hope MILITARY HEADDRESS turns out to be interesting and informative, otherwise all this will seem a quite dismally pointless load of waffle. Mailman mailman, why so slow?

Greg, I am sure you realize that I was not shooting the messenger and sharing such is a good thing. If Peter had not joined seemingly just to ug it I would have been very grateful for your post
    Regards,

Jerry

?

For anyone that is interested I noticed both this book and the Sun Helmet book are reduced in price at the moment, even for those not in the UK buying both with international shipping is good value.

You searched for helmet - Naval & Military Press

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast