Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Helmet Pickups

Article about: Nice helmets Russ! You must be running out of room with all these lids you've been collecting.

Default New Helmet Pickups

Four new helmets we added to the shelf over the past few weeks. Nothing special, but we like them. All are post war M-1 clones.

New Helmet Pickups

Iraqi M90 - These helmets were manufactured by Iraq and used during the second gulf war. Due to poor construction, which lead to the rim chipping and delaminating, the rubber bumper was added for extra rim protection.
    New Helmet Pickups

New Helmet Pickups

West German M1A1 M81 - This example is a modernized M62 fitted with the new 3 point chin strap.
    New Helmet Pickups

New Helmet Pickups

Israeli produced M1 - We are going to dress this helmet up with a burlap cover and rubber band.
    New Helmet Pickups

New Helmet Pickups

Austrian M58 Stahlhem Type 2 - The mfr stamp is all but gone, you can just make out that the stamp did exist. The last two digits are barley readable, under good light and look to be a 7 and a 2, which would make sense.
    New Helmet Pickups

New Helmet Pickups

For comparison, our Iraqi M80 and newly acquired Iraqi M90
    New Helmet Pickups

New Helmet Pickups

Russ & Son

Default Re: New Helmet Pickups

Nice lot!
    Any stamps in the Israeli helmet?

Quote by magicdutchmen View Post
    Any stamps in the Israeli helmet?
    Yes MD, the shell and liner both of the standard Israeli M1 markings. There is the number "75" under the brim of the shell, which I am assuming is the date of Mfr. The liner headband is dated 19"74" and has the Tama stamp inside the crown. There is also a little bit of ink scribbling on the headband leather but I don't think it is any kind of letters, looks just to be scrbbles.

Russ

?

You are getting quite a collection friend.

Is that a reversible Camo cover on the west German helmet?

Russ, your M1A1 is not an M81 but an M85...Here is some info on the M81/85 Stahlhelms of the Bundeswehr... after 1981 it was intended that all BW steel helmet models were to be upgraded. this list shows all variants of the basic M60/62, sorry for any mistakes, as I have had to translate from French. 1) Models M81 - M-1A1 "modifiziert, Bodentruppenhelm": shell second type, side edges thin, with interior model 1981 (which has a plastic neck protector added) , with a 2-point chinstrap. 2 external rivets for the chinstrap. Screw head on crown.
    2) M85 - M-1A1 "modifiziert, Bodentruppenhelm": shell second type, side edges thin, with interior model 1981, with the new 3-point chinstrap. 3 external chinstrap rivets, screw head on crown.
    Also old helmets M60/62's were upgraded: 1) M60/85 - M-1A1 "modifiziert, Bodentruppenhelm": shell first type. Interior model 1981. The 6 old rivet holes are sealed and 3 are added to the 3-point chinstrap. Screw head on crown. This is the standard M85 M60 renovated (9 visible rivets).
    2) M60-62/85 - M-1A1 "modifiziert, Bodentruppenhelm": first shell type.Interior model 1981. The two old rivet holes of the former interior are sealed, three new rivets are set for the new 3-point chinstrap. Screw head on crown not visible. This is brought to standard M60/62 M85 (5 visible rivets) specification.
    3) M62/85 or M81/85 - M-1A1 "modifiziert, Bodentruppenhelm": shell second type. interior model 1981. The two rivet holes of the old interior are sealed and three new rivets are set for the new 3-point chinstrap. Screw head on crown visible. This is brought to the M62 or 81 to standard M85 (5 visible rivets) specifications.
    Note: The interior 60 and interior 81 is easily interchangeable, can be found in M60/62 or M62 equipped with interior model 1981 after upgrade. Note, all have the plastic neck protector as part of the 1981 interior package. You should be able to check yours against this list and see which type you have !
    I hope that is clear !
    Prost ! Steve.

Quote by helmetone View Post
    Is that a reversible Camo cover on the west German helmet?
    Yes, it is, exept it's got so many, what appear to be patches on the indide it almost looks like it has "winter" foliage attached......

Quote by oradour View Post
    your M1A1 is not an M81 but an M85...Prost ! Steve.
    Yea Steve. my mistake. I knew that from reading a earlier post of yours, just mistakenly called it an 81. Thanks for clearing it up for me and others

Russ

very nice assortment russ the iraqi lid looks great ive not seen one with the rim banding before very different and the israeli one looks superb well done ,i bet that shelf will be buckling under the weight soon nice one james

Quote by col james View Post
    the iraqi lid looks great ive not seen one with the rim banding before very different
    James, the earlier Iraqi Helmet, from the Iran/Iraq war period, was the M80 (South Korean supplied M76), and did not have the rubber bumper around the rim of the helmet. The Iraqi M80 is also easily identified as most examples are poorly painted a desert sand color over the dark green fiber and in most every example, the paint is missing from the crown, from setting the helmet down.

The M90 is an Iraq produced helmet and, from what I have read, do to poor manufacturing or material, the helmet rim easily chipped or delaminted so the rubber bumper was added for protection and can be found on almost all examples. The M90 is also identifiable as it was produced only in the desert sand color, this is not paint.

The Iraqi's also used another M-1 clone fiber helmet that was designated as and M92. This helmet was imported from China and is a very close knock off to the South Korean M76 and was produced in a dark green color.

I just noticed today that the net piece, on our M90 looks to be that of what is used on the West German M81/85's. I guess the Iraqi's picked up stuff from about everyone.

As for the Isralie helmet, we are going to try and find a piece of period burlap and make a cover for it, held down with a rubber band cut from an inner tube.

Russ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast