Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Odd stuff on an Italian M.33

Article about: So i've got an Italian M.33 and now I decide to take a closer look at it. I realize this stuff on the top isn't rust, or doesn't look like it.. Notice it's not at all inside the shell It's m

Default Odd stuff on an Italian M.33

So i've got an Italian M.33 and now I decide to take a closer look at it.
    I realize this stuff on the top isn't rust, or doesn't look like it..

Notice it's not at all inside the shell
    It's marked B-85

I picked this guy up for 15 dollars and I plan on trying to get the rust off to display it as a relic.
    (Sort of off topic) My personal belief is that if a helmet doesn't have much or any original paint then you should do a full restoration. If it has some or most of the pint it should be displayed as a relic.
    I don't know if that stuff is original or what.

MAP
    ?

Odd. I do see traces of what looks like the early green paint but also large sections of bare metal. The top coat is chunky and appears to be a heavy aged overpaint or maybe even a camo??

I would leave it as is. I would not 'restore' it. Not worth it and will ruin the relic appeal.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Odd. I do see traces of what looks like the early green paint but also large sections of bare metal. The top coat is chunky and appears to be a heavy aged overpaint or maybe even a camo??

I would leave it as is. I would not 'restore' it. Not worth it and will ruin the relic appeal.
    I was only thinking of trying to stop the rusting on the inside

Quite an interesting helmet for how cheap it was

I would say it depends, your helmet looks like a fine relic to me, it looks like it´s age. I would just restore helmets that are real rustbowls.

MAP
    ?

Quote by aircap1 View Post
    I was only thinking of trying to stop the rusting on the inside

Quite an interesting helmet for how cheap it was
    Keeping it in a dry environment with neutral humidity should be more than enough for this to last longer than us.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I find this relic far more appealing in it's present condition as opposed any restoration you have in mind so would suggest simply leaving it be
    Regards James